New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating System Image

I tried to create a System Image on my external hard drive but it says "this drive cannot not be used to store System Image because it is not formatted with NTFS" . I am a novice user and am not sure what NTFS is and can I change the format to NTFS ,or will it delete what I have on the drive now.
    Dave

Thanks
    Read through some of the various posts in the Security and Backups forum for ways to Image.

You should be able to use Disk Manager while your Ext HD is plugged in to see the HD and right click to format as NTFS. Be sure you choose the correct drive. Also know that when you reformat the HD, you will loose anything on that drive.

in the Search box (Start Orb, Search) type disk management, then choose Create and format hard disk partitions. This will open the Disk Manager. You should see your Ext HD (generally a higher number hard drive, mine is listed as E when it is plugged in.

Disk Manager.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Dave, and welcome to the Lounge!

Windows comes with a utility that can convert FAT32 to NTFS without losing the data on your external drive. Be advised that while your data is supposed to remain intact, it is always prudent to make a backup of your data before taking any steps that could result in losing the data.

See this NTFS.com page for instructions on running the Convert utility. It says it is for XP, but the utility also works in Vista and Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Medico (2011-05-13)

Thanks
    Gerald, very nice, I had forgotten about this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Read through some of the various posts in the Security and Backups forum for ways to Image.

You should be able to use Disk Manager while your Ext HD is plugged in to see the HD and right click to format as NTFS. Be sure you choose the correct drive. Also know that when you reformat the HD, you will loose anything on that drive.

in the Search box (Start Orb, Search) type disk management, then choose Create and format hard disk partitions. This will open the Disk Manager. You should see your Ext HD (generally a higher number hard drive, mine is listed as E when it is plugged in.

Disk Manager.jpg
    Thanks Ted for the reply. I don't get to this PC very often but next time I am I will
    try it and let you know.