Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDO View Post
    I've used Roboform for years and recommended it to lots of people. Then they persuaded me that I needed to upgrade to V7. I was uneasy, because I didn't actually want all my log-in and password details sitting on a server somewhere, but I eventually bought the upgrade - at which point the program ceased to recognise my master password. Several desperate emails to tech support later, and having tried their fixes to no avail, they suggested I uninstall V7 and reinstall V6. This worked insofar as my master password now works again to allow me to log into sites; but whenever I want to create a new passcard I am asked to confirm the master password, and under these circumstances the same password does not work. So having paid for an upgrade, I can use what I have but not create anything new. I am no longer a fan of Roboform, and as soon as I can find the time to source a reliable alternative I intend to uninstall it. I've already deleted my data from their server.....I hope.....
    JDO,

I had this same problem with my Wife's machine. She had been complaining before I upgraded to RF7 but I thought it was just her. Well some how she had some PW protected with one PW and some other's with another PW. How this happened I'm not sure but it may have been from copying old .rfp files after changing the Master Password {I keep the Master PW the same as her Win-7 logon which I recently strengthened}. However, the fix is to Unprotect all the Passwords. Change the Master PW {this can be back to the one of the same ones} then reprotect all the PWs. Also make sure the Automatically Protect option is set. This procedure cleared up all her problems.

BTW: Did you upgrade to the RF Anywhere version? I upgraded to the Desktop version as I like other posters here just don't trust this kind of information to the Cloud!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the question "what if my password manager vendor goes out of business?" Like others I occasionally print my passwords and store them in a secure location. I also use the paid version of LastPass so that I can use their off-line program, LastPass Pocket. It keeps an encrypted version of your data on your hard drive. I keep date-stamped versions of my offline file in a variety of places so I am hopefully protected from the worst scenarios. I used to use KeePass and really liked it (my wife still uses it) but since I operate on multiple computers the convenience of having a synced version of my passwords won out.

I was concerned about putting such important data in the cloud but was convinced that LastPass did it right by Steve Gibson's Security Now! episode 256 (http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm). As others have noted, your data is stored encrypted and LastPass does not have the key.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using LastPass for over a year. I have yet to get comfortable with it's user interface. The program seems quirky in other ways. I'm reading this thread to pick another password manager to try. Since LastPass is the only one I've ever used, it may be the best, but I'm ready to try something different. They did handle their security breach admirably, but ever since I reset my master password, it seems flakier than ever.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using DIY Tools - Am I OK?

Well, I built an Excel spreadsheet with a line for each name, account number and url that is clickable, but the password column has a 2 digit reference code that needs to be looked up on another spreadsheet.

The spreadsheets are locked up using MS Excel encryption and then kept in a TrueCrypt vault on a flash drive.

Is this enough? Too much? It's actually pretty quick to use.
    I tried RoboForm but took it off when the machine seemed to be slowing down and it was taking quite a few cycles

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fensterlips View Post
    Well, I built an Excel spreadsheet with a line for each name, account number and url that is clickable, but the password column has a 2 digit reference code that needs to be looked up on another spreadsheet.

The spreadsheets are locked up using MS Excel encryption and then kept in a TrueCrypt vault on a flash drive.

Is this enough? Too much? It's actually pretty quick to use.
    I tried RoboForm but took it off when the machine seemed to be slowing down and it was taking quite a few cycles
    Excel password protection is not secure (possibly Office 2007 or 2010 is more secure) - look at the many sites offering to bypass password protected Office files!

Keeping the files in a TrueCrypt container probably offers the best protection in your situation. I used to use a password-protected Word file for the same purpose, and I kept that in a TrueCrypt container, too.

I migrated to KeePass so I don't have to add the steps to mount my TrueCrypt container each time I want to access a password-protected site. KeePass is portable (TrueCrypt is "portable", too, but does leave some things behind after use), so keeping the program and database on a thumb drive or online in my Windows Live account lets me use it anywhere.
    PJ in FL

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, RetiredGeek! I did upgrade to RF Anywhere, but if I ever manage to get this sorted out, and recover my faith in the basic software, I may try the desktop-only version. I have only ever had one master password for everything in Roboform, but somehow during the upgrade, this appears to have been changed or corrupted. One of the solutions the RF techies suggested was to "refresh" the master, but following their instructions to the letter had no effect at all. Downgrading back to V6 allowed partial recovery, but not complete. I have just tried your suggestion, but RF will not allow me to unprotect anything without entering the master, and when I do it says this is unrecognised. So I'm still stuck, I fear.

Thanks
    What about Linux and Mac? I regularly use both Win 7 and Mac and occasionally a Linux machine. Is there a program I can put on a USB drive that would work with all three? Or a web-based solution that would work with all three?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

PasswordCard

Anyone ever give a look at PasswordCard http://www.passwordcard.org/en ? I keep coming back to it, but haven't invested a lot of energy in it yet. I suspect it is either a really good and clever idea, or a really stinky one -- no middle ground, one or the other. I first came across it in June 2010, but haven't seen any buzz about it elsewhere. They've recently added mobile apps (iPhone/iPod, Android, etc.), which may mean nothing in the long run.

Anyway, just curious if there are any opinions one way or the other.

JustGeorge

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have a slightly different approach.

I use iAccounts on my iPhone. Purchasing iAccounts gave me a free copy of iBackup to run on my main workstation.

The process I use is to generate strong passwords held on the iPhone in iAccounts behind a strong master password in the app. If the master password is entered incorrectly 5 times the encrypted database in iAccounts is zapped. I can sync over the air to iBackup on the workstation and copy/paste passwords from there into websites, remote PC's and servers etc.

The iPhone is also connected to an Exchange server so it has an unlock PIN too. I also have the ability to remote wipe the phone for extra security.

To backup the iBackup database on the workstation, I use a TrueCrypt container which holds an export of the database.

The TrueCrypt container is then backed up onto more than one location every night along with the rest of the workstation.

Complicated? Over-the-top? Not for business purposes I think. At it's simplest level, my iPhone has a dynamic and portable record of all my passwords and this is synced to my workstation which is securely backed-up.

New Lounger
    Thanks

RoboForm and "self-sync"

RetiredGeek,

I saw your "sync" comment and as I have just purchased RoboForm Desktop for two machines, I wondered if you'd elaborate. I want to move my passwords from my desktop to my laptop. I do not want to have to re-create them all over again.

Looks like just a copy from one to the other and leave the License file alone.

Sound right?

Which sync prg are you using? SyncToy or Microsoft Sync?

Thank you in advance.

HmS
    Gettysburg PA
    Retired Educator

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

Disclosure: I'm a rabid RoboForm user...

In fact just today I upgraded my 2 licenses to version 7 and bought 2 more. They gave me a price of 15.64 ea. I consider this a bargain for the functionality RF provides. I use sync toy to keep the machines in sync {just remember not to sync the License.rfo file}. Every so often I also print out all my passcards and chuck them in the safe {just in case}. However, the chance that all 4 machines will bite the dust along with all the image backups at the same time is quite rare.

Before doing this I gave Kee Pass a try but didn't find it easy to use at all. YMMV. In any event I believe that a password manager is one of those essential security tools for any serious computer user who is on-line! IMHO.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto View Post
    Using the same password for multiple accounts is a bad idea. Using "easy" passwords is a bad idea; passwords should all look like random collections of characters. Passwords should be changed regularly. As a result of all this, we are left with the task of trying to remember a large number of seemingly random strings of characters, in effect an impossible task. The solution, say the experts, is to use a password manager like Roboform or LastPass. But I have trouble working with them. I'm not locked in to a single computer: I often use the computers of friends or colleagues, or an iPod. Do I have to make sure I have Roboform on a thumb drive every time I go out the front door? Some computers don't allow thumb drives. What if LastPass goes out of business or has a technical hiccup? Wouldn't I completely lose access to all the sites I've signed up for? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm deeply puzzled by the question of how to manage the many dozens of passwords I need.
    I use LastPass and consider it to be a real "must have" tool as I use different passwords and different computers every day. I have a different LastPass database for each client.

Lastpass has addressed the issue of their servers being inaccessible or even gone forever in two ways. First, on any computer where you have installed the LastPass plugin you have a local copy of your LastPass data. They provide a free tool, Pocket LastPass, which "... (p)rovides backup capability and offline access for your LastPass vault." They have made it easy to leave LastPass if you need to, so you can feel comfortable using it. Get Pocket LastPass here: https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php -- and read up on exporting from LastPass here: Exporting « LastPass User Manual http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/tools/exporting/

Compare this to RoboForm -- the current version has NO EXPORT CAPABILITY. Earlier versions allowed you to export your data, but the most recent versions has lost that feature. If you have more than a few passwords you have to open each password entry individually and hand-copy the data, then paste it to something else. I was VERY annoyed when I discovered that RoboForm had removed this capability and I no longer recommend it to clients because of this.

Every so often I also print out all my passcards and chuck them in the safe {just in case}.
    I suppose you could "export" all your RoboForm passwords by printing to a PDF, but you would still have to enter them into your new password manager one at a time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw a tip from RetiredGeek about moving the Roboform files. Copy all BUT the license.rfo to the other machine. I just did that and it worked.

HmS
    Getysburg, PA

New Lounger
    Thanks

Last Pass

I also have been using Last Pass for over a year now. I occasionally get a minor hiccup (like having to tell it to fill in my user name and password) but find it to be 99% functional.

I generally create my own passwords but with variations I could never remember. Because I am not a very trusting type I also list all of my sites and their passwords in a folder in MS Outlook and keep it current "just in case". That folder is also included with my critical daily backups.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

Disclosure: I'm a rabid RoboForm user...

In fact just today I upgraded my 2 licenses to version 7 and bought 2 more. They gave me a price of 15.64 ea. I consider this a bargain for the functionality RF provides. I use sync toy to keep the machines in sync {just remember not to sync the License.rfo file}. Every so often I also print out all my passcards and chuck them in the safe {just in case}. However, the chance that all 4 machines will bite the dust along with all the image backups at the same time is quite rare.
    I have to agree, RoboForm is a great program and I've been using it for many years. I would be lost without it, and I use it's ability to create passwords if I need a password for a new site I'm visiting...
    A former Soggy Sysop from Seattle!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast