Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 backup asks for install disk

When I try to make a system restore disk, it ask for an install disk but my computer came with Win7 installed and I have no disk.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

If you purchased the PC from a retailer or big OEM vendor there is often a procedure supplied on the PC to create a reinstallation disk. If you bought the PC from a local PC vendor they should've provided you with the install media.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a Dell machine. Could you guess where I could find it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'd look for a "Dell" folder in the "All Programs" part of the start menu. Look for a "Create installation media" or "Create reinstallation disk" or something similar.

Also, possibly in the Maintenance folder of the start menu.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can't find it there, give Dell a call. They will (usually) send you a set of installations disks for your machine at no charge.
    Chuck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome! I hope you get this resolved!
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    When I try to make a system restore disk, it ask for an install disk but my computer came with Win7 installed and I have no disk.
    It shouldn't be asking you for an install disk; it should only be asking you for a blank disk to write to.

Microsoft doesn't word some things very well at all. I don't think you want a "system restore" disk, I think you want a "system repair" disk. Click the Start button, then type "system repair" in the search box (without the quotes) and "Create a System Repair Disc" should be on the top of the list. Click on that link, and see if it asks for a CD to write to.

That is the disk you use to restore a previously created drive image.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The box that comes up when I do that says "The files needed to create a system repair disk were not found on this computer. You can still create a system repair disk if you have a system install disc." And there is an input box whick has a drop-down with the only selection "DVD RW Drive {G:}".

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel, backup and Restore. Choose Create a Repair Disk as shown:

SystemRepair.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The box that comes up when I do that says "The files needed to create a system repair disk were not found on this computer. You can still create a system repair disk if you have a system install disc." And there is an input box whick has a drop-down with the only selection "DVD RW Drive {G:}".
    I'm making the assumption that your Dell is probably still under warranty. I would suggest you contact Dell Support to get this issue resolved. You should have a full installation of Windows 7, with no missing files.

I'm using a Dell to write this, and it's only a couple of months old. I created a "System Repair Disc" when I unboxed the PC, and it has the ability to create another one now; no missing files or whatever. It just asks for a CD to write to.

Dell used to include full installation media with their machines; now they've gone the route of the hidden restore partition that puts everything back to the out-of-the-box condition. But Dell Support will usually provide what you need, although sometimes at a small fee.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not asking for an install disk. It is requesting a blank cd or dvd to make a system restore disk. It acts as a boot disk in case of disasters. Just place a blank cd or dvd in your dvd writer drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlg63 View Post
    It is not asking for an install disk. It is requesting a blank cd or dvd to make a system restore disk. It acts as a boot disk in case of disasters. Just place a blank cd or dvd in your dvd writer drive.
    It would appear that you missed a post:
    "...if you have a system install disc" means that it is indeed asking for an installation disc to read from and copy the relevant files to a temp folder in order to write a repair disc, since the wizard was unable to find the necessary files on his computer.

Unleash Windows

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

Dell used to include full installation media with their machines; now they've gone the route of the hidden restore partition that puts everything back to the out-of-the-box condition. But Dell Support will usually provide what you need, although sometimes at a small fee.
    Just an FYI on this. I've found that getting disks with a Dell machine just "depends". On what? I can't say, although I think the lower end Dells don't, and higher ones do. I bought a Studio 1555 laptop a little over a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find a full set of setup disks in the box. Being that the machine cost me just over $1k, it shouldn't be a question, but I wasn't expecting them.

Yes, they will provide them if you call. I got a set for my old Inspiron 6000 when I called about it. the laptop was 3 years out of warranty, I was more than happy to pay for them. I was putting a larger HD in, and I told them I wanted the disks to cover my self in case of an issue. The tech said "Oh, your PC isn't booting, we'll help you get that fixed. I started to repeat what I was doing, he interrupted, and repeated that he wanted to help me get it to boot. Good guy, he was giving me an out to get the disks for free.
    Chuck

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

brownfox (2011-05-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    Just an FYI on this. I've found that getting disks with a Dell machine just "depends". On what? I can't say, although I think the lower end Dells don't, and higher ones do. I bought a Studio 1555 laptop a little over a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised to find a full set of setup disks in the box. Being that the machine cost me just over $1k, it shouldn't be a question, but I wasn't expecting them.

Yes, they will provide them if you call. I got a set for my old Inspiron 6000 when I called about it. the laptop was 3 years out of warranty, I was more than happy to pay for them. I was putting a larger HD in, and I told them I wanted the disks to cover my self in case of an issue. The tech said "Oh, your PC isn't booting, we'll help you get that fixed. I started to repeat what I was doing, he interrupted, and repeated that he wanted to help me get it to boot. Good guy, he was giving me an out to get the disks for free.
    Thanks. I will give them a call.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will give them a call.
    I wish you the best. I can't say you'll get them free, but who knows. Let us know what happens!
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast