2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy data from online registration service doesn't match value list for field

We are using an online registration service and download the data via a spreadsheet which is imported to the database.Last year the data downloaded was the same as it needed to be entered. This year the data comes as statements. Ex. t-shirt sizes have a number: "3. Large", or "1. Small". I want this entered as just the size. Route is downloaded as "Bettendorf (106/88 mi)" when all I want is Bettendorf.
    The data is in a value list. I want to convert the downloaded data so it will be what is in the lists when entered in the appropriate fields. Do I need to set up tables with the data that can be used for each field and link it to the downloaded data?
    Using Access 2003
    Last edited by xyiegphriedt; 2011-05-13 at 23:22. Reason: additional info

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless you want to try to negotiate with the online service to give better data, you will have to create the tables to convert the data.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkLiquorman For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-05-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I have opted to use update queries for 2 of the fields. The third field is for shirts with 5 sizes. I have a free shirt table for size and item. I also have a table for the online shirt with fields for their size descriptions and an item code that matches the item in my free shirt table. My imported data table shows shirts with the online description. I want to link the shirt field to the online shirt desc. in my convert online shirt table. Then if I link the item code from the convert online shirt table to the item code in my free shirt table how do I have the size in my free shirt table show instead of the way it is listed in the online desc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile It works

Not an Access genius, but managed to get this to work on my own. I always say there isn't anything you (and Access) can't do, it just takes time to figure out how to do it.