Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Real Time Anti Virus Protection

Not sure if this is a question or a confirmation - maybe both.

Background

• I have MS Security Essentials running in real time mode on my Windows 7 system
    • just downloaded Avast AntiVirus, which I really like from past experience and its default is real time protection.
    • also remembered I've got Malwarebytes, too

Questions/Confirmations

• Seem to remember that only one should be running on auto pilot at once. Is that correct?
    • If so, any preference from Loungers on which to keep as "auto" and which to use periodically?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-05-14 at 16:27.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yes, you should only have one a/v tool running real time checks.

I have no preference because I only have MSE.

I run the free version of Malwarebytes infrequently.

Joe

Thanks
    Same here. Perfectly happy with MSE for real time AV and AM protection. Use MalWareBytes (free) to scan at times. The two AV apps can cause problems for each other that would only make your problems increase. Choose one or the other. Both are fine products.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Linda, I realise my suggestion is not part of your 'modus operandi' but I think its excellent.
    I use Avira Antivir free, if you download it from here there is a link on how best to install it at the bottom, plus why I use it at the top of the page in my link.
    I also scan periodically in 'safe mode' with SuperAntiSpyware portable.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help - as always! I've turned off Avast real time protection and left MSE on. Malwarebytes seems to run only when requested.

In Avast, there were several areas to check or uncheck re. real time protection. I disabled them all, but now wonder if they are protected by MSE or if I should leave some running in Avast? I'll attach a screen shot so you can see what I mean: there's IM, P2P and several others down the left hand column that I hope are self-explanatory. If not, I'll do shots of those, too (see how dangerous it is to learn from the Lounge how to do screen shots!!).

Linda

P.S. Roderunner, I'll check out your link as well - to get more educated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-05-16 at 19:31.

Thanks
    A simple Google Search of MSE compared to Avast yields a world of sites comparing the 2. After reading several of these articles I am sticking with MSE.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    As someone who's tested all 3 MSE (Beta/1/2) versions, I'm happy using Avast! It updates several times per day compared with 1 time {if you're lucky) with MSE. It's also more configurable.

In cases where I've used either for post-infection scanning, Avast! picks up infected files as soon as I open the folder, whereas I've seen MSE not pick up anything until some 40 minutes after I've flagged up a suspicious file manually.

I've also used MSE 1 and 2 in tandem with Avast! for some weeks at a time and not seen any ill-effects with performance. If anything MSE defers to Avast! when it comes to on access scanning.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Avast or MSE !?

The main advantage of Avast over MSE is its excellent Support Forums and questions ( with their corresponding Answer(s) ) about Avast are best asked and/or "searched" on those Support Forums, specifically at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Somehow I missed all these posts until now. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and select one. I uninstalled Avast earlier today before reading satrow's post. I'd been concerned about having 2 programs running at once. Still I hated to give up Avast for all the reasons mentioned in these recent posts. Also I rather miss the little voice that tells me my virus databases have been updated! I'll check out some of the Googled articles from Ted and decide whether to stick with MSE alone, or re-install Avast to use either with or without MSE.

Do any others of you have experience with running both MSE and Avast with no problems? I hadn't had any problems myself, but when 4 or 5 different people say DON'T do it, I get nervous!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Im also Avast + Malwarebytes user and Im pretty impressed. Until now I do not see the need to change from this two protection.

Palagay ko rin dapat talaga isa lng real time protection na gumagana.

Thanks
    Hi Linda,
    Do any others of you have experience with running both MSE and Avast with no problems? I hadn't had any problems myself, but when 4 or 5 different people say DON'T do it, I get nervous!!
    DON'T run 2. MBAM can run alongside any AV, providing its not the paid version.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb MSE or Avast

Hi all : Looking through some of the Sites listed in Ted's "Google Search", perhaps the best one would be the info at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74124.0 !?
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    I have used Avast on three machines for four years without any infections. I have used MSE on two other machines since the release of MSE 1, and have had no infections. I like them both, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would go with Avast.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks very much to all of you. I'll ponder over Memorial Day weekend re. MSE or Avast but definitely NOT even consider MSE and Avast together. Have always hated choices - well, at least when it comes to software programs. Technology is, however, replete with them so guess I'd better adapt! Will also check out the link SpiritWind provided in my thought process. Oh, I'll post back on decision, too!

Thanks again!

Linda

Thanks
    A point.....

Malwarebytes FREE will NOT run in the background or get automatic updates. Only the PRO (retail) version will run in real time and get automatic updates. You DO need to set the scheduler for that.
    The FREE version is a great program, but will only open, get updates or run scans when you tell it to. It's great for de-bugging an infected computer, but does not supply real-time protection.

For AV protection, this old tech uses only AVG 2011 PRO along with Malwarebytes PRO. They seem to work well together and find and remove different types of malware. I also use "Spybot Search & Destroy" to find and remove adware/spyware that neither of the other two programs will either find or remove.

I also have "Super Anti-Spyware" which I update and run once a week, to see if something has gotten past my other programs.

No way Jose, would I ever trust my PC and my data to just one program. You're much safer using a "Package" of anti-malware software.

Good luck y'all !
    O.T.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast