Thanks

Network 'File Sharing'

Hi Loungers, I have set the 'File Sharing' settings on both my Win7 Home Prem pc's as Fred Langa suggested here
    Once that was done, I could access 'User' files on my desktop from my laptop & vice versa.
    What I would like to know, is, the correct way to set a folder on desktop D: partition for sharing. ( both pc's have the same user, password and workgroup ) If I set it for 'George' owner read/write, I don't get access from laptop to desktop, if set for 'everyone' I do get access.

Attachment 28058
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    RR,

If you're behind a router that has proper security set up setting sharing to Everyone should be just fine. That is the way I have my home network setup. The network includes 4 machines, a NAS device and Brother Networked laser printer.

Edit: Assumes active AV and Software Firewall.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    RR,

If you're behind a router that has proper security set up setting sharing to Everyone should be just fine. That is the way I have my home network setup. The network includes 4 machines, a NAS device and Brother Networked laser printer.

Edit: Assumes active AV and Software Firewall.
    Hi RG, I have the problem fixed, thanks for your reply.
    Here's how I fixed it. I think the problem started when I changed the WORKGROUP name on both my pc's, that screwed up D: drive ownership/permissions. So I copied all to a spare hdd, deleted D: then replaced it, next I set D: to be a shared drive, now anything I put in it can be accessed from my Laptop with just 'George' as owner with full control.
    My AV is Avira, & Windows FW, I've tried other S/ware FW's but they screwed up sharing features.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!