New Lounger
    Thanks

PC no longer booting up

It is a rather old puter but just about never used, not a quality product, Medion MD-8088. It's been standing for about 15 months. I've never removed/added/modified any hardware and it is mint looking inside, no dust at all.
    I decided to boot it up and update XP Pro's patches from MS as well as the av prog.

Booted up and played around somewhat to familiarize myself with XP again before going online, everything stable and smooth. Inserted cable, and the av prog updated fine and when I got to MS it stated I'm missing x58 patches! In any case I proceeded and it took about 20 min to d/l. It then installed the first 8 patches and suddenly just closed down, as in switch off.

Now the problem surfaced, I can no longer reboot, the timing varies but it just closes down peacefully at random. It always starts off by mentioning that partition G (my "temp partition") not in good state and I allow it to check/verify whatever. Scan & run done in a few seconds but after this as soon as it attempts to start XP, I can see the Windows XP window, it closes down.

I've replaced the battery although the old battery read 2.7v, there is no hd noises and the fan is spinning fine. I doubt if it can be heat cause it runs only for a few seconds (10 - 15) at a time. I cannot scan for a virus because I'm not given enough time to get into safe mode either.
    I dug out a Puppy Linux CD and tried to boot up with it and although it proceeded very nicely it could not show anything because again closed down before completion.

If it is not the MOB that suddenly developed a hiccup then it must be one of the MS pathces? I have the original XP Pro disc but cannot bootup with it, not enough time given. The patch that was installed incomplete, patch #9, was .NET Framework 3.5

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks
    Since you are having the same random shut downs when attempting to boot into XP and from the Puppy Linux CD, I would focus on a hardware issue. Be sure to use anti-static protection when you go into the case. Power up you PC with the cover off and check to be sure the CPU cooling fan is indeed running. It does not take long for the CPU to overheat if the fan is frozen. Power off the PC and check the CPU heat sink and fan to see if there is any looseness there. Check all data cabling to be sure there are no loose connections. Check your RAM sticks to be sure they are firmly seated in their sockets. Check all the internal power connections to ensure they are properly seated.

Once you have checked the simple stuff, all that remains is possibly a bad power supply, a motherboard fault, a bad stick of RAM, or a failing hard disk.

If you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine, you could remove all but one and try booting again. If you get the same symptoms, try each stick one at a time to see if you can obtain a stable boot and OS operation. If one stick proves to be okay, you can then download memtest86 to burn a bootable CD to test the stick thoroughly. Run Memtest for several hours, and if no errors show up and you have no shutdown, then you can be confident that stick is okay. Add a second stick of RAM to the first one and test for errors. Of course, if your PC shuts down after adding another of your RAM sticks to the test, then evidently that stick is bad. Keep testing until you have checked each stick of memory. Through this process of elimination, you can determine which sticks, if any, are faulty.

If none of your RAM sticks allow you to run XP without random shutdowns, or allow your PC to stay on long enough to run the Memtest checks, then RAM may not be the problem. Move on to the power supply, motherboard and hard drive. A failing power supply can ruin a motherboard and can also cause hard drive problems. I suspect the power supply to be the most likely component to have failed, and the least expensive one to replace, other than a stick of RAM. You might want to involve a trusted PC repair tech to help in this situation.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-15 at 18:27.

Thanks
    Hi rompy, go to the support site for your pc and see if their is a BIOS update.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks deadeye81, I will work through all yr suggestions and report back.

Roderunner, could the BIOS go belley up after a session of MS updates? I'm in any case adding it to my list.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rompy View Post
    Roderunner, could the BIOS go belley up after a session of MS updates? I'm in any case adding it to my list.
    NO, it is only operator installed.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, problem resolved. The heatsink/cooling fan is clipped down with two thick round wire lever springs, top and bottom. The top one can not be clipped in because a small plastic hook missing, broken off. This spring wire clips in with a pretty hefty force and although the bottom one still in place the heatsink now swings open permanently and not even touching the CPU.

I visited two shops and both claim that for the 478 mount nothing available, too old technology, buy a new PC from us.
    Luckily I found a 3rd shop and they have the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B model SCMG-2100 (a monstor size) and it is freely available. The catch is that I'll have to remove the complete motherboard. Hopefully no damage done to the CPU at this stage.

Thanks folks for yr fast response, tomorrow I'll collect and install.

Thanks
    Glad you uncovered the culprit, rompy! Thanks for posting back your success in finding the solution. Best wishes on getting your PC back up and running.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-17 at 19:19. Reason: spelling correction
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill