2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is PowerPoint 2000 a risk?

I bought Office 2000 Professional way back when and since I seldom use it (I'm a WordPerfect loyalist), and I wonder now that Microsoft no longer supports it, whether it's a security risk.

About the only time I ever use any of the Office applications is when I need to create a PowerPoint slide show. And that is very seldom.

I can see no justification to pay for Office 2010, but I don't want to keep anything on my machine that will open up vulnerabilities.

Do the Windows Updates that fix holes in Office 2007 also keep 2000 protected?

And I've tried OpenOffice and didn't care for it, especially the PowerPoint equivalent.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The fixes for other versions of Office will only install on those versions. You can't install an Office 2007 fix on Office 2000.

I would consider any 10+ year old software to be a security risk. Software development practices at Microsoft and every other software vendor has advanced considerably. You have to remember how much the internet has advanced since Office 2k was released. Along with the internet, malware has advanced too. Given that, the security risk is in how you use PowerPoint. If all you do is create presentation you are probably OK since you know what you are including in the presentation. If you are using PowerPoint to access presentation created by others you are most likely exposing your PC since you can't know exactly what is in each presentation.

A mitigating factor to some degree is a good A/V program and having you always saving presentations before playing them. That way the presentation will always be scanned before you play it. This does not eliminate risk just reduces it.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe.

I'll follow your advice and before viewing any pps file, I'll download it. I have an A/V application running that scans every file when downloaded and another that checks any executable or viewable file before it opens. Since the only pps files I view come from highly trusted sources, I'm willing to take a chance. ...and I always have a recent full system image backup, just in case.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2000 is too old however full patching it (office update) may help you with your security issue.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you rarely use it, nothing is a security risk unless either you run it or it runs in the background. If you only use it to create your own presentations, still minimal risk since a virus would have to come into your computer via some other vector and then infect one or all of your existing presentations. However, if you use it to open presentations from others, then it becomes risky.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson