Thanks

MS Updates - Do Some Really Not Apply to Me?

I am running XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600 and have MS Update set so that I am informed when new updates become available. I then need to decide which, if any, to download and install. Today I received a notice that I could download and install these two updates:

Security Update for MS Office 2007 System (KB2540162)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2011 (KB8900830)

I usually ignore the latter. I am unclear about the importance of the former. I am currently running MS Office 2000. Am I correct in concluding that I donít need the Office 2007 update? If so, why doesnít the MS Update program know that I donít have Office 2007 installed?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you installed the Office File Compatibility Pack you've got part of Office 2007 installed.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

Thanks for pointing out something I'd long forgotten. I will download that update.

How do you and others feel about the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool? I seem to recall seeing posts with misgivings about its cost/benefit ratio. I know it is free. I'm referring to its load on the system, its reporting home, and the space taken by 12 updates per year.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just let it download and run. I look at it as an just another layer of defense.

Joe

Thanks
    The MSRT tool is useful as a double-check to whether a machine might have an infection that's been missed by the normal security software, a layer of defense it most certainly isn't.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The MSRT tool is useful as a double-check to whether a machine might have an infection that's been missed by the normal security software, a layer of defense it most certainly isn't.
    You are correct. I mis-spoke. It is not an active layer of defense. It is a useful tool to automatically double-check your PC once a month (and yes I know you can run it whenever you wish).

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can take or leave the MSRT. At various places I've worked at, some security teams skip it, some install it. At home I tend to just let it install, it certainly doesn't hurt anything to have it there. At work, I uncheck it when I'm patching servers. I'm not involved in patching workstations so I'm not sure if we put on PCs.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-05-17 at 17:32. Reason: Add a missing word!
    Chuck