New Lounger

Smile Security settings in IE9

This may be old news, but it solved a problem for me just a few minutes ago so it was new to me.

It's been widely reported, and correctly, that not all of your Security settings move forward from IE8 to IE9 when you upgrade. I found that out the hard way when a critical link I've been using for years suddenly refused to respond. Researching the forums didn't give the magic incantation, so one by one I tried anything in the IE9 Tools/Advanced/Security settings that looked remotely logical and didn't immediately cause a "Your computer is at risk." response.

Finally I unclicked "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" and voila, now it works just fine. (I do get IE9's new little question at the bottom about Open versus Save, but that's trivial). Just out of curiosity I checked my laptop, which is still on IE8, and it's unclicked there - and my crucial link has continued to work fine there.

I hope this might help some of you out there.

Dave Phelps

Dave, Welcome to the Lounge.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure this indeed help someone. It's kind of wierd because that was unchecked by default on my systems. There might have been something in the original IE8 that caused it to be set by default. Interesting!
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy