Thread: TrueCrypt

Thanks

Angry TrueCrypt

Hi Loungers, I followed the beginners tutorial but made an error, the what ever it is ended up

Attachment 28071

How do I remove it please.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    The program in question,should have had you created a recovery CD/DVD (rescue disk).What is the full name of this True crypt program?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    You're not very clear about what has happened! Were you trying to encrypt your system drive? A data drive? And what was the result, in words...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Apologies for lack of info, its TrueCrypt Version 7.0 I attempted to follow this tutorial.

Thanks
    Gosh - this is really like pulling teeth, and I'm not a psychic dentist! Whereabouts in the tutorial did you get whatever the problem was? The Beginner's Tutorial has five parts, each consisting of a number of sub parts...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Hi BATcher, I read the tutorial a few times before starting, but got it wrong by missing the correct starting point,I think, then getting step 6 wrong. I was trying to create the new folder in D: Bell, size 1gb. Somehow it ended up as in above. If it was created where I wanted, removing it would have been simple, I've tried everything except dynamite.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you were creating a TrueCrypt container, and not encrypting an entire drive, then a TrueCrypt container is simply a file. You can copy, move, delete the file as you would with any other file. The caveat to that is if the file (container) is in use, i.e. by TrueCrypt. If TrueCrypt has the container mounted as a virtual drive, then you must dismount the container before performing any of the file operations mentioned above.

So, what EXACTLY happens when you try to move the file from where it is to where you want it to be? If you want to point to the tutorial again, please consider the tutorial is 19 steps over 5 web pages. Please be specific!
    Last edited by pjustice57; 2011-05-17 at 14:15.
    PJ in FL

Thanks
    Hi Loungers, it seems I'm only 95% as daft as I originally thought. On further reading of the user guide, the file I made was in the location I specified. When the file was 'Mounted' it appeared as above as a Virtual disk (M). While it was not 'Mounted' I safely moved it from D: Bell, to an external hdd F: Jumbo and was able to 'Mount' it and gain access to the test files in contained.
    By the way, I'm using TrueCrypt version 7.0a in portable mode.
    My new problem, when the file in F: Jumbo is 'Dismounted, using 'Safely Remove Hardware' I get the message it can't be removed etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for clarifying!

TrueCrypt, even in portable mode, will still be running after you've dismounted a container file.

A solution may be you need to also EXIT TrueCrypt. Usually there will be a SysTray icon for TrueCrypt, and, if so, right-click and select EXIT to completely close TrueCrypt.
    PJ in FL

Thanks
    Hi PJ, My intention was to have the TrueCrypt files on a thumbdrive so as to be able to access 'Container Files' on external hdd's connected to both my pc's, it could not be removed 'Safely' So I put a copy in C:drive. After 'Dismounting' TC was not running but still unable to remove 'Safely'
    Laptop & Desktop each have a dedicated ext. hdd. Plus another hdd for both, containing Master copies of Acronis System Images for my pc's & others.