Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD with Memory Management Error

My computer reboots several times on its own with a blue screen showing every time a "Memory Management Error in windows 7 Ultimate. Does anybody here know how to fix this recurrent and nagging problem?
    Thanks a million.
    Jean-Pierre..-
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-17 at 04:27. Reason: Started new thread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi jeanpierre,

There are a number of possibilities that can generate the 'Memory Management' BSOD. Did your PC come with Win7 Ultimate already installed, or is it an upgrade to Win7 Ultimate? If an upgrade, which OS did you upgrade, XP or Vista? When did this behavior begin, has it been a constant problem since you obtained the PC, or is it a recent development? What was the last change you made on your PC before the BSOD's started, either a hardware addition or software?

Try booting into Safe Mode and continue in Safe Mode for a while to see if your experience any BSODs. If your do not get any rebooting in Safe Mode, then the most likely culprit is a driver.

If the BSOD stays on screen long enough for you to read it thoroughly, record any series of numbers and letters in addition to the message you already posted. If the BSOD disappears quickly in a reboot, then go to 'Control Panel (view by icons)>System>Advanced System Settings (or alternatively you can type in the Start menu search box Advanced System Settings, and press Enter)>System Properties Advanced tab>Startup and Recovery>Settings button> and under 'System Failure' remove the check mark by "Automatically restart". Next, just below that, in "Write debugging information", be sure 'Small memory dump (256KB)' is showing. This writes a minidump file in the %SystemRoot% folder, which is usually 'C:\Windows'. You can download and run BlueScreenView here, which can many times identify the file or driver that caused the BSOD.

Another location to check is the System Log and Application Log under Windows Logs in the Event Viewer. Click Start menu, type in eventvwr and press Enter. Look for any red critical errors generated at the time of the BSOD containing any info about the BSOD.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-17 at 05:47. Reason: spelling correction

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2011-05-17)

Thanks
    "Memory Management" error is usually 0x1a. The cause is often drivers or faulty RAM or incorrect settings for the RAM.

To test the RAM, see the reply by Andre Ziegler here. To check for and update drivers, see the reply by SpiritX here.

Other drivers maybe installed by software, especially Security programs, etc. Check that these are all fully updated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

jeanpierre (2011-05-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Deadeye81, Thank you for your help. I had "Windows 7 Ultimate" installed over XP some time ago. If I remember well, my son installed it leaving the old XP on a separate section to keep the data that I saved over a number of years.
    My HDD is 148Gb with about half used, and I have two external drives, one Iomega Drive 1Tb, the other a Dell 500 GB. I don't remember having installed anything much after those ext.drives.