2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Screen at Start-Up

Hi to all,
    I am a newbie and had problems upgrading my Dell Inspiron 530 64 Bit computer from VISTA to Windows 7 so the installation was stopped and started several times. Now when I start up I get a Boot Screen with 3 Windows 7 options. Is there any way to get rid of this so each time it just loads Win 7 without asking me to choose an option ?
    Thank you, Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    I would not do the In Place Upgrade option, but the Custom Install option. Place the Win 7 OS in the same partition as the Vista OS was. After installing Win 7 to completion you might need an app such as Easy BCD to fix the MBR to elliminate the incorrect choices. Just be sure you choose the correct ones to get rid of. Name the correct one to something easy to pick out, like Graphics Guy PC or such. After getting this fixed, check out a couple of tip sites to help in learning Win 7:

How To Geek

Paul Thurrott's Windows 7 Supersite

Windows Seven Forum Tutorial

These sites are gold mines of information on customizing and using Win 7.

p.s. After you do a custom install of Win 7 a special folder is placed in the root folder (C Drive) called windows.old. This folder includes everything from the oldd OS. You can open this folder and copy things you might need to the new OS (documents, pics, musics, contacts, favorites, etc)
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-05-17 at 15:39.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Thanks again for the speedy reply.
    I will take your advice to heart and investigate your suggestions. My copy of Vista was messed up and a lot of the programs, System Restore & my Scanner Twain drivers for example, would not work and would not reinstall. All I wanted to do was remove Vista and install Windows 7 but when I choose the Custom Install I got confused as to what I should pick on the hard drive options so when one didn't work out the way I expected, I started all over again choosing a different option expecting it would wipe out the previous one and that is why I have 3 Windows 7 listed in Boot Up. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    I assume that one of the installs completed successfully. In this case you should be able to use EasyBCD to correct the problems with the Master Boot record (MBR). As I stated change the name of the partition that holds the good copy so it is very easily reconizable. To do this, type Disk Management in the search box and choose Create and format hard disk partitions. This will open disk manager. Right click on the partition you know holds your OS and choose Properties. You can rename the partition here.

Read the instructions of EasyBCD to see how to use it appropriately. In the EasyBCD main screen on the Edit Boot Record tab you should see all the 3 optionss. Hopefully at this screen you will be able to see the real entry from the 2 false entries. Highlight and choose delete.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Ted for all your help and explaining further how to make the necessary changes.
    I will try them out.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Glad I could be of assistance once again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted