2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I Install Contact files into Live Mail?

Hi to all,
    I am having a confusing problem. I just upgraded my Dell Inspiron 530 64 Bit Vista to Windows 7 and downloaded Windows Live Mail as my E-Mail handler. I now have no names in my Contacts, but I did save the contacts from the Vista mail program but they are just a bunch of 2 kb files. What do I need to do to get them installed in Live Mail? Thank You. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Hi GG, log in to your mail from your browser, export them as .CSV then import them into WL Mail. BUT, if you don't have a Windows Live ID, you will have to enter addresses manually.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Thank you for your reply.
    If I understand correctly, I would have needed to export and save then as .csv files before I upgraded to Win 7. Would the upgrade have saved them anywhere? I did save the contacts from the Vista mail program but they are just a bunch of 2 kb files. Is there anyway to convert them to .csv files? Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Hi GG, what email service do you use, gmail, yahoo, aol, or your ISP's.

Thanks
    There should be an export option somewhere in the options for Windows Mail. One of the file alternatives is .csv as Roderunner mentioned. Once you have them saved in the .csv file, you can then import the file into Windows Live Mail.

Since you have already upgraded, you can try to import from WLM and point to the files you saved.

If you did the custom install, there is a folder called windows.old on your C Drive. This folder contains the info from Vista including contacts. Perhaps if you find the contacts in this folder you can obtain them from here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Ted and Roderunner,

My E-mail service is Comcast.net and USA.net.

The only Export options I find are: Microsoft Exchange or Windows Live Mail and I don't see any mention of .csv files. Wouldn't this only export from what is now in Live Mail?

The Import options are: MS Outlook Express 6, Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail.

I found Windows.old on my C drive but no matter how I try to access the Contacts files in Windows Live Mail I get a warning notice: "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open." The only other application I have open is Windows Live Mail but I need that open to choose the import/export options. The Contacts folder in Windows.old contains 77 individual 2 kb files.

I tried opening up Programs>Windows Live Mail on my C drive to see if there was a folder that I could just drop the files into but didn't find anything.

Thanks again for all your help and patience.
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Hi GG, can you access Comcast.net and USA.net. from your browser to read your mail. Here is an example using my Hotmail.com

Attachment 28083

Once this is done, me or Ted will go to next stage.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Yes, I can access both to read my mail when I am not on my own computer, but on my computer I have both of them set to download all messages to Windows Live Mai .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphics Guy View Post
    Hi Roderunner,
    Yes, I can access both to read my mail when I am not on my own computer, but on my computer I have both of them set to download all messages to Windows Live Mai .

Hi GG, then you'll have to do as in my last post.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. You wrote in one of your previous messages "
    Hi GG, log in to your mail from your browser, export them as .CSV then import them into WL Mail. BUT, if you don't have a Windows Live ID, you will have to enter addresses manually.

I find that I am unsure how to do this. Is there any step by step procedure located anywhere that I could follow. As I mentioned in one of my previous messages -I found Windows.old on my C drive but no matter how I try to access the Contacts files in Windows Live Mail I get a warning notice: "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open." The only other application I have open is Windows Live Mail but I need that open to choose the import/export options. The Contacts folder in Windows.old contains 77 individual 2 kb files.
    I don't understand how to export them to .csv files, on everything I have tried I end up getting the error that no messages can be found.
    I hate to be a pain in the rear but could you explain one more time how I should proceed?
    Thank you for all your help, it is REALLY appreciated. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Hi GG,
    I find that I am unsure how to do this. Is there any step by step procedure located anywhere that I could follow.
    What is the name of the email provider you use & want to save as (export) in .CSV format. ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Please keep in mind that I am not very knowledgeable in computer technology or terminology.
    I am not sure what information you are asking for, but I will try to answer your question.
    My ISP is High Speed Internet on Comcast.net.
    I have a mailbox on Comcast - Graphics-Guy@Comcast.net.
    I also have a mailbox on Usa.net - Graphics_Guy@usa.net.
    I have it set up so Windows Live Mail automatically download messages from both mailboxes to my harddrive where I view them.
    I now have 3 contacts that I have saved by clicking on on "Add Contact" from incoming mail.
    I have 77 individual 2kb files of contacts that are in the Contacts folder in the Windows Old>Users>Walter Folder that Windows 7 created when I upgraded from Vista. I don't see any extender on these files, they are just listed as a contact file.

I do apologize for being so dense but computer technology overwealms me and Ioften use the excuse of being a senior citizen.
    I do appreciate you always jumping right in whenever I have a question and would also like to know how do you send a "Thanks" so it shows up under your name?
    You have helped me so many times and I have been remiss in not thanking you properly.

Thanks
    Hi GG, I suggest you ask Comcast Support on how to save or export your contacts in .csv format to add to W L Mail. Once you've done it, I'll explain how to add to WLM.