Thanks

Exclamation IE8 suddenly cannot see some web content?

For my job (Dell warranty PC repair) I log in to my company's secure portal in the morning to receive my assignments for the day. I pull them in, print them, etc., before leaving to pick up parts and make my service calls.
    Starting this Monday, however, I found to my chagrin that I cannot see my new assignments - basically I have a list of calls left to make and if I have new ones to pull in, I get a red button at the top of the screen to click on and review them.
    But Monday I did not see the red button, so I assumed I had no new work (it's been very slow lately, so it was no surprise). Later in the morning my boss called to find out why I hadn't pulled in my new work, and that's when I knew I had a problem.

I'm using IE 8 (8.0.6001.18702) - I've done all the available updates for both Windows and IE.

I can see other new content (they post memos on the main page that we have to read and acknowledge before we can get to the screen showing our work - I saw a new memo that was posted on Monday afternoon, but still no work, and I've been sent screenshots showing that the work was indeed there - at least IT can see it, even if I can't.

I had one outstanding call already assigned to me from last week where the customer asked to have the work done this week - I updated the ETA (twice) on Monday and then again today to 5/19, and it still shows the original ETA of 5/17 on my screen. I broke out an old laptop just now to see what I saw with THAT, and it shows me the correct ETA of 5/19 - and presumably would have shown me the new work as well (it was reassigned to someone else until I get this problem figured out).
    I don't want to use this laptop, though, because the battery won't charge any more so it isn't portable and is rather quirky. But for now it shows me what I need to see, presumably. And it also proves that it isn't an issue with my internet connection.

But I need to figure out what is going on with my main PC - I ran scan after scan (AdAware, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Avast) and although Spybot and AdAware each found a couple of things - nothing out of the ordinary - nothing has changed.

Was there a recent update to Internet Explorer (8) that I should undo? I don't think that for XP, at least, there was anything last patch Tuesday except for the malware removal tool. A coworker suggested that I look into updating Adobe Flash, since he seemed to recall having a similar problem when Flash was out of date on his PC - I did that (first uninstalling it completely) and then recalled that I did a Flash update within the past few days, which would coincide with when the problem began (sometime between Friday evening 5/13 and Monday morning 5/16. But I don't know where I might be able to get a downgrade of Flash to see if the newest version did the damage or not.

I also recall that this weekend (I think) I finally got around to installing PerfectDisk (it's been used before, but this is a relatively new Windows XP installation) but it is an older version (10) and I don't know if that might have any bearing on the situation - it's never caused me any grief in the past, though. Other than that, I can't think of any changes I made to the PC within the timeframe during which the problem began.

Any ideas as to what I could, or should, look into as the culprit? Many thanks, and as usual my apologies for my wordiness.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried emptying your TIF?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried emptying your TIF?

Joe
    Yes - several times. I deleted everything it was safe to delete - cookies, internet files, login information, the link to the webpage - everything I could think of.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I guess I'd try the older version of Flash.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

ie 8 64 bit may be the issue

Have you tried opening ie8 in 32bit mode? IE 8 64bit doesn't do everything it should. Click on Start and programs and you'll see two IE's listed. Choose the not 64bit.