New Lounger
    Thanks

MEGREFIELD Inserting date, but then to remain unchanged

To give you abit of background into my problem.

The computer system I'm working with pulls stored generic word documents and generates them on specifc dates. These documents are not always opened by users for working on the same day that they are created by the system (they often sit as pieces of work items or todos). When users eventually open the documents, which can be anything from a few days to a few weeks after the created date. The date field here in the current document is: { MERGEFIELD dateletter } this always inserts the created date and NOT the date the document is opened for the first time.

The issue here is that users can forget to manually change the date, they end up sending letters out which should be dated 18/05/2011 but is dated 04/04/2011, which makes us look bad with customers.

What I would like is a mergefield that inserts todays date only once and refrains from updating in the future, a bit like a date stamp - so if the document is then reopened (for viewing proposes) it will not update.

Having looked at the handy DateCalc V2_85 document there does not appear to be a suitable mergefield for me to use as the fields look like they will always update when you open the document.

These dates mergefields are very close to what I'm looking for but they all update or change.

The PRINTDATE field
    The SAVEDATE field
    The CREATEDATE field
    The DATE field

The best one here is probably the PRINTDATE field, but again it updates the date everytime the doc is printed which is again something that I would want to avoid.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RAISH; 2011-05-18 at 06:07.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Note all these date fields are not 'mergefields' - they don't require a field in your data source to work.

In my opinion the printdate is useless - it can only update itself after the file is printed and by then it is too late. If you have forced fields to update before printing (by setting that annoying option) then it might have a chance of being correct but this is not reliable enough to trust.

I would say you need to use the savedate field. This allows you to open the document at a later date and the date will only change if the document when the document is saved - if you only want a print then close the file without saving. If you DO make a change to the document and save it then that is the trigger that will allow the field to update itself.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Raish,

To generate the current date and have it locked, use:
    {QUOTE{DATE}}
    (with whatever DATE field switches you require)

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Hi Raish,

To generate the current date and have it locked, use:
    {QUOTE{DATE}}
    (with whatever DATE field switches you require)

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

That worked out brilliant, thanks for the replies they were really helpful. This has to be one of the best forums I've ever come across!

Cheers guys.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Further help please!

Following on from the previous posts I was wondering if it is possible to add a number of days to the quote field?

{QUOTE {DATE \@ "dd MMMM yyyy" }}

The advice previously given has worked out really well.

I've since discovered that some of my colleagues letters are also using a another field further down the letter which asks the customer to respond by a certain date, such as, please respond within 7,14 or 21 days of this letter, it then displays the date, however, this field is also calculating its date on the date that the document was first generated as previously discussed above. Is it possible to adjust this other field to add 7 days or however many days required to that it displays the correct respond date.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

How can I go about doing this?
    Last edited by RAISH; 2011-06-13 at 17:24. Reason: unclear