iNET Interactive
    Thanks

MSE delivers mixed results in antivirus tests

LANGALIST PLUS

MSE delivers mixed results in antivirus tests

By Fred Langa

Malware researchers are now finding the same kinds of Microsoft Security Essentials problems reported earlier in Windows Secrets.

Clearly, MSE is far from perfect. Should you dump it? Let's sort out the facts.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/mse-delivers-mixed-results-in-antivirus-tests/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    In my limited experience MS must test their software on 'bare bones' systems, I.E. without other installed programs used by customers.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll have to forgive me a little smile. Above the salt, in the free section, Woody says that registry cleaners cause more trouble than they solve - "Some Registry cleaners do more harm than good", and now, below the salt, in the paid-for section, Lincoln advises their use to remove all traces of a Java installation. The innocent reader could be forgiven for asking who is more right than the other.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mse

I am pleased Fred Langa put some perspective on MSE's test results. Paid for AVs have a weakness in that so many people do not want to pay the renewal fee or use and illegal copy in the first place. Their computers then become hazard to others. AV should be one part of defense in depth so it should not need to be the best and in any case the best varies from time to time.
    It is clear from the MSE forum that XP users get more problems than Vista/7 users.
    In my experience a hardware firewall, keeping up to date along with using the correct settings for Windows and the latest IE and MSE keeps you safe.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Response to: Can't get Java to install or uninstall

An easier solution for Carl Todd was to use JavaRa. It is free and works great. Google it to find more info on it.

-David Yunker

Thanks
    I also have had very good results with MSE. I do use a very good software firewall ( Online Armor ++ ) and a hardware firewall through my Cisco Linksys e4200 router. I have never had a successful attack against my home PC's with this setup. I also do look at and install all appropriate updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    You'll have to forgive me a little smile. Above the salt, in the free section, Woody says that registry cleaners cause more trouble than they solve - "Some Registry cleaners do more harm than good", and now, below the salt, in the paid-for section, Lincoln advises their use to remove all traces of a Java installation. The innocent reader could be forgiven for asking who is more right than the other.
    I don't think Woody was referring to the use of Registry Cleaners to clean up after a Windows error or a mess. The issue he wants to address is using Registry Cleaners to try to speed up a slow computer, or as part of regular maintenance. In both cases, it is a waste of time. These programs are good tools for repairs, but not good uses of time or resources as maintenance tools. Anyway, that's my take on the apparent discrepancy.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-05-21 at 03:18.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update doesn't complete.

I found the link to your October 28, 2010 article, "What to do when a patch won't install." useful but wanted to point out a typo in the article.
    Where you give instructions to type a command in the command line, you omitted the backslashes. Fortunately the screenshot showed the correct syntax and I was able to get my Windows 7 machine to accept the PowerPoint update that was failing before I performed the registry hack. Thanks, Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Applications that refuse to install

It's ironic that Woody was in the pulpit on the same day that Fred has to tell someone how to fix a registry error. When read Woody's discussion of registry cleaners I did so with an open mind. On the one hand he is totally on target when he says that some of those apps are both worthless and dangerous in the wrong hands; specifically those who believe all the sales pitch that accompanies these items and at the same time have no concept of the registry's construction and operation. On the other hand, like the person with the Java problem I have in my many years of experience come across problems in that same vein. I have had several apps that couldn't be installed without a deep inspection of the registry and subsequent cleaning of keys. I have also had problems where a program apparently uninstalled itself successfully but upon attempting to install a newer version ran into the problem where installation could not proceed until, you guessed it, I cleaned the leftovers from the registry after much searching to find them. As Woody said, the registry is a large database similar to ones many of us have used in our work. One thing I remember from those days was that no database failed to perform better after a packing session. I see the judicious use of a good registry cleaner as nothing more than a parallel to that operation. Of course there is one big difference in the two aforementioned operations, the first operation, if it failed couldn't brick the OS where the second one involving the registry could be fatal if one were careless enough to run the cleaner without a backup. Maybe I'm a fool for using a registry cleaner but I'm a careful fool and "knock on wood" I have never been bit by the one and only one I trust and use (jV16).