2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to refresh CD/DVD drive?

Currently using my old computer with XP (32 bit) and Vista (64 bit) (both OSes reinstalled a few days ago so very very clean but MSE and malwarebytes checked in any case) each running from separate internal hard drives.
    The big task I am working on involves checking all my CD/DVD backups (mostly data CDs and DVDs).
    All works fine for many disks, then suddenly (after about 20 disks or so) the system refuses to refresh CD/DVD contents and shows the old contents of the previous CD/DVD.
    CUriously, once the machine gets caught in this loop, the same thing occurs whether I am booting in XP 32 bit or Vista 64 bit and it only resets/refreshes if I insert a completely different type of CD (such as an audio CD) in the drive.
    Short of inserting an audio CD (or a video DVD) every now and then (which works for a while), is there any other way to force my double-brained computer to refresh the CD drive automatically?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I've run into this problem before on an older system. I concluded that it was a heat problem. IIRC, just letting the drive sit for a few minutes cleared it up.

Have you opened up the PC and checked the fans, connections, and possibly cleaned it?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe
    It's clean, thanks :-). The problem recurs even when the computer has been off for hours, so I suspect overheating may not be the reason in this particular case.
    Is there a good examination tool (software) for CD drives?
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    Hi David, have you tried a DVD/CD lens cleaner ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you go about swapping discs? By pushing the eject button? Instead, try right-clicking the drive in Explorer and selecting Eject.

Another option is to go into Task Manager and kill Explorer. Explorer should restart automatically, but in some cases you will have to restart Explorer manually - under File | New task, enter "explorer" to get it to restart.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding lens cleaner - I used one once, to my regret, on an earlier computer and ruined the drive - probably it was the wrong kind of cleaner. Do you have recommendations?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Latest update - the CD drive refreshes most of the time but occasionally it doesn't, as mentioned above (and irrespective of whether I use "eject" in Windows explorer or the physical button). Cafed00d's suggestion to kill explorer was not particularly clear to me. As far as my experience goes, killing windows explorer creates a situation in which the only way to continue to use the computer is to reboot, since there are are no links to any processes at all after killing explorer in the current OS session, (apart from killing more in task manager). Perhaps I have misunderstood something there?)
    I am getting through my pile of CDs, sometimes rebooting sometimes using a USB DVD drive which doesn't appear to have the same problem (yet) - it's a slow process, but it works after a bit of insistent pushing.
    Any further ideas and/or clarifications welcome
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsolo View Post
    As far as my experience goes, killing windows explorer creates a situation in which the only way to continue to use the computer is to reboot, since there are are no links to any processes at all after killing explorer in the current OS session, (apart from killing more in task manager). Perhaps I have misunderstood something there?
    No, you do not need to reboot. All you need to do in in Task Manager (which will still be running) is go to File | New Task and then type "explorer" in the dialog box it shows. (Is there an echo in here??) Then Explorer will be started up again and you can continue working. No PC reboot necessary.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cafed00d For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2011-05-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I hadn't understood that initially. I'll try it.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    well... having tried the killing of windows suggestion and the ejection of the CD/DVD by using the left click option instead of the physical button method, I still get non-refreshing CDs/DVDs in the on-board CD/DVD-drive (after about 10 different CDs/DVDs). I shall continue my current consoldation project using the USB DVD drive (glad I bought that some time ago) until I find a solution.... any further ideas welcome.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsolo View Post
    Regarding lens cleaner - I used one once, to my regret, on an earlier computer and ruined the drive - probably it was the wrong kind of cleaner. Do you have recommendations?
    Hi, sorry for delayed reply. Any lens cleaner from a reputable manufacturer or ask support from your PC manufacturer.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2011-05-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After going through another 200 or so backup disks yesterday, some on the main CD/DVD drive and some on the USB CD/DVD drive - switching to the USB one when required - I've found the problem on the main drive has now become so intermittent as to be not worth worrying about. Case closed :-)
    Thanks to all.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is old, but it's the first result from Google, so I will answer it.

This problem affects Windows Xp, 2000, 2003, Vista, 7, 2008, and probably Windows 8 as well.

I used 7z to bust a DVD up into chunks, 700mb, same size for each, and then burned them off onto seperate CD's. When you put the CD's in, one after another, Windows doesn't display the new contents.

DiskName.7z.001 700mb
    DiskName.7z.002 700mb
    DiskName.7z.003 200mb

If you put the disks in order, 1 2 and 3, the second disc won't be refreshed, it will still list disk 2's contents.

The only fix I can tell you, without having to totally restart when it happens, is to go to Computer Management, remove the DVD/CD drive, then hit refresh devices.
    (Click Start, Right click Computer, go to Manage, click Devices, find the CD/DVD, right click and uninstall, go to Action and Scan for New Devices)

Your CD/DVD will show back up with the correct contents.