Thread: What is Visio?

New Lounger
    Thanks

What is Visio?

Recently, I am hearing a lot of people in my organization talking about Microsoft's Visio. Can anyone brief me on Visio and its uses? Will it be beneficial to buy it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use it for drawing network diagrams - what computer connects to what switch etc. You can use it to represent any interconnected items / events that you need to document.
    Personally I prefer a low cost solution like the freeware Network Notepad, but there are plenty of alternatives.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Visio is a tool to help you create diagrams of almost anything. See Visio at the Microsoft Office web site for much more information. If click on the "Learn more" link under "Which edition of Visio is right for you" you'll get a feature comparison chart which will give you much more detail about Visio's capabilities.

Joe

Thanks
    I love Visio, but simply cannot afford it. I found EdrawMax to be a viable alternative
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Smithjessica,
    Visio is one of the best diagramming software available. It uses vector graphics to create diagrams. Visio is useful in many areas like:
    1) It helps in simplifying process management
    2) Create and monitor process performance
    3) Store, share, and reuse business process diagrams and sub processes
    4) Map business processes faster by adding and aligning shapes easily and accurately
    5) Share dynamic, data-linked diagrams using Visio Services
    6) Streamline data flows and dependencies between systems and optimize system tasks
    Currently, there is a Free Visio Trial version available for 60-day evaluation. Therefore, I will recommend you to try it for this time span and check it out how beneficial it is.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Andrew, I see your first post here is almost a marketing blurb for Visio. You don't work for MS do you?

cheers, Paul

This user has been Banned
    Thanks
    I had to use Visio in a previous job and hated its learning curve. Now I use Dia, Inscape or just LibreOffice's draw app, depending on what I'm doing. I think they are all more intuitive than Visio, and you can't beat the prices! The only problem I have is using my old Visio diagrams, and for that I have to fire up an XP machine over Terminal Server Client on the network (I run Ubuntu 10.10), run a copy of Visio, and export it to something readable (svg or even a bitmap). That's the biggest problem with Visio: its diagrams are in a proprietary format and you're handcuffed by Microsoft. If you want to read it you have to pay what they demand. All the free apps can use svg, which you can drop into a word processor and scale to size.

Here's another new app, haven't tried it: http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...d-diagrams.htm