New Lounger
    Thanks

Google Updater Throwing an Error on Every Boot

Since earlier this week, every time I boot, Google Updater throws the following error:

Google Update installation failed with error 0xa0430606

The "show help" link on the error dialog is no help at all, and all Google applications on my system report they are up to date.

Others must be having this problem too. Google staff responded, in a thread I found in their forums about this issue, "This is by design. Error 0xa0430606 == GOOPDATE_E_NO_ARGS. GoogleUpdate.exe is not meant to be run without arguments."

So apparently throwing an error every time someone boots their computer is "by design." Very helpful.

Anyone else encounter this and figure a way around it. I'm sure I could just remove it from the startup, God knows I've probably done that fifty times already over the years, but moreover I'm concerned that the updater service may be blocked to the extent that future updates can't get around this log jam.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djMot View Post
    Since earlier this week, every time I boot, Google Updater throws the following error:
    Google Update installation failed with error 0xa0430606
    I started getting it too yesterday, for no reason that I can understand, I've changed nothing on my computer in the last few days and it's still showing in my startup programs. I also checked the Google "help" but that was totally useless.

Thanks
    Google Updater is an app that automatically updates apps in the Google Pack a group of apps that Google feels is necessary to make your system more efficient, I guess. These seem to be Google branded versions of many common apps that we use every day. I suspect that one of these Google branded apps are interfering with the original app or vice versa. I would make note of what apps I had installed from the Google pack, then uninstall the Google Pack and instead install the app directly from the app manufacturer rather than use the Google branded app.

The above is something of a guess since I do not use this Google Pack and prefer to use the original manufacturer apps instead.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Resolution[?]

I may have solved the problem, but now I'm trying to recall where I heard about the source of the problem. It was either Windows Secrets, or CPU magazine...

I believe the problem was Soluto from Anti Frustration Software. I know, ironic, right?

Soluto examines your boot and lets you Allow, Pause, or Delay any particular boot module. Allow does what you'd expect, Pause really means "disallow," and Delay means to put it off till after the boot is complete and the computer isn't so busy. Soluto categorizes each boot program as either "No-brainer" for those that it deems superfluous and therefore safe to Pause, "Potentially removable" for those it's thinks are safe to either Pause or Delay, and "Required" for those you better leave alone.

Presumably, Soluto is supposed to become smarter because it's a phone-home kind of app that aggregates users' experience and settings to more smartly handle optimization recommendations over time. There is no indication of whether it will adapt existing installations in the process.

It is possible that I allowed Soluto to "Delay" Google Updater and that was the source of the problem. Perhaps a dependency was not properly queued, or had already terminated by the time the Updater service got around to starting, leaving it wanting for something it would have otherwise gotten if the boot had not become convoluted. Or Solutoluted in this case.

Uninstalling Soluto seems to have shut the Google Updater up.

Soluto worked fine for me, other than this Google issue. It had an only marginal effect on boot time for me, though, and that speaks more to why I made the decision to ditch it than anything else. For others, it may have quite a positive impact, but it may also take some finessing to get it just right.

@ jb5 - Does that help you?

Following this same logic, other boot delayers like R2 Studios and the delay feature of the Startup Manager module of Glary Utilities may be suspect on other systems if Google Updater is throwing an error.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by djMot View Post
    Resolution[?]
    Uninstalling Soluto seems to have shut the Google Updater up.

Soluto worked fine for me, other than this Google issue. It had an only marginal effect on boot time for me, though, and that speaks more to why I made the decision to ditch it than anything else. For others, it may have quite a positive impact, but it may also take some finessing to get it just right.

@ jb5 - Does that help you?
    you were right on the money dj . It was Google Helper in Soluto (not Google Updater), but obviously the culprit Thanks a million!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the exact same issue - occured after I did several reboots after "tuning" which services would start at boot time, using both Soluto and a manual adjustment by running "services.msc". I'm not sure whether I made the change using Soluto or manually, but resetting the Google Updater service to start automatically at boot time obviously fixed the problem.

As stated above, if using Soluto, this is fixed by turning Google Update back on in the boot settings within Soluto.

I think the same problem occurs if for some reason the Google services are changed to not start automatically at boot time (which is what Soluto is doing under the covers.)

I think there are three services related to Google Update - Google Software Updater, Google Update Service (gupdate), and Google Update Service (gupdatem) - and I haven't confirmed yet which is the critical one. I think it is gupdate. Have all three set to start automatically at boot time if necessary.
    Last edited by kirkg13; 2011-05-27 at 17:31. Reason: Error in service name...