New Lounger
    Thanks

Google detects unusual network traffic

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong thread and please guide me elsewhere.

On two brand new computers (apple and pc), when I conduct a Google search I receive a message that Google has detected unusual traffic from my computer followed by a captcha. When I type in the captcha, I can continue to search.

I know this may be due to malware, but these are new computers and I've barely done anything with them. This never happens at work where we have over 300 users.

I recently switched to a cable service provider, but would that make a difference? I've read in several discussion groups about this issue, but I can't tell if it is something I really need to be concerned with. Is it possible my cable modem/router has been hacked? (I set it up with security settings, passwords, etc. first thing).

Thank you for any information you can give me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sure does sound like something has been hacked by malware (though it is somewhat surprising for a mac). One thing you could do on the PC is open Task Manager and click on Networking, that you can see the network traffic. Then watch what happens when you do a google search, see if you large continuous spike in traffic. Usually, I see a brief 15KB spike for a second or 2, and that is it.

It is also possible that your router was hacked. You could try resetting it (check the router docs for how to do that), and after doing so configure the security settings.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Most likely your ISP has some bad dudes on it and this is what Google is responding to. You generally do not have your own IP address when on the internet unless you paid extra for the privilege, you share one with a lot of people via your ISP.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson3556 View Post
    This is my first post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong thread and please guide me elsewhere.

On two brand new computers (apple and pc), when I conduct a Google search I receive a message that Google has detected unusual traffic from my computer followed by a captcha. When I type in the captcha, I can continue to search.

I know this may be due to malware, but these are new computers and I've barely done anything with them. This never happens at work where we have over 300 users.

I recently switched to a cable service provider, but would that make a difference? I've read in several discussion groups about this issue, but I can't tell if it is something I really need to be concerned with. Is it possible my cable modem/router has been hacked? (I set it up with security settings, passwords, etc. first thing).

Thank you for any information you can give me.
    Hi mwilson3556, welcome to the lounge.
    Look at my image of Gmail, click details & follow info box that opens.

Attachment 28105
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!