New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Wndows 7 cannot find DVD burner

For what ever reason my DVD burner is not present. It shows in the device manager but there is also an error code 39 notification. Up dating the drivers shows the latest driver present. Trying to uninstall drivers and restart does not work, the install fails. The last time I used it successfuly was around about the first Of April when I made a CD of pictures.

Is there a realatively simple solution with out going to murky world of Rregistry repair software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Optical drive, keyboard & mouse errors 39 aren't related to missing drivers (no matter what the properties say in Device Manager). Something has added garbage to the UpperFilters section of your optical drive, keyboard or mouse registry entries. See this site for more details:http://blog.ryantadams.com/2008/01/1...ivers-code-39/ (See also the related "CD/DVD drive not working" at the bottom.
    This is generally a pretty easy fix, using the keyboard if the mouse is bollixed, or the virtual keyboard (Programs|Accessories|Ease of Access) if the keyboard won't work, but if BOTH are FUBARed, I guess you'ld have to install a new mouse & go on from there. I your case, since it's just the DVD drive, the fix should be relatively easy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The key board and mouse are find, it is the DVD burner that windows cannot find iting error code 39. I checked the registry but could not find any thing that refered to filters.
    Last edited by fiftynineca; 2011-05-23 at 13:39.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is solved. I use the Microsoft fixit utility and just followed the instructions. It seems it was the filters in the registry as was suggested as on of the solutions but I am chicken and do not like to fool around with the registry. I use the Automated repair and watched it run. After the repairs were made I was able to read a CD with my player.

Thanks to all for their suggestions because they did steer me in the right direction. Windows 7 rocks.

Doug

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad we could help. Now it's time to learn how to inspect the registry & change settings , if needed. Always make a backup (or 2) - see ERUNT. An automated solution COULD automatically screw things up; time to learn not to be chicken (with a backup in your pocket).
    Zig