Lounger
    Thanks

Is "XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" the answer?

My 5-yrs old or so XP SP3 system has gotten pretty slow to boot and sometimes gets draggy during usage (and I'm not talking about intense programs or games). I've done registry cleaning, defragging, etc. I really would prefer to not do a total reinstall as it would undoubtedly take several days and involve tracking down application CD's and installers and who knows what else. So I'm wondering if Fred Langa's "XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" is a good path? Or if there is something else to look into?

For background: my primary HD is divided into three partitions. The OS is in C. Most programs are in F. And data (along with a few programs) are in G. I also have a second internal hard drive, similarly partitioned, with copies of F and G and an (untested) image of C. Between that and Mozy, my data is pretty well protected.

What recommendations do you all have?

Thanks.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree with you, this is an option worth considering.

Although it's nice to track down the root cause, sometimes you can go round and round in circles and its just more efficient to nuke the problem with a non-destructive OS re-install.

Double check first though that your are licenced for such a re-install and that there are no obvious hardware issues: bad disk, insufficient memory etc.

Thanks
    After 5 years of operation a clean install would be my first choice, but the non destructive reformat, I guess would be worth a shot if your unable to put in the time.

Have you looked through the event viewer to see what error messages are present lately?
    When was the last time you ran a thorough checkdisk on the primary, from a boot disk that is?
    Consider uninstalling programs you don't need and reining in startup process of those already present.
    After 5 years of heavy usage your almost bound to have some degree of os decay, reconsider the clean install. It will also give you a chance to update all your drivers and software for a fresh install and carefull configuration.
    Hardware
    You might also consider opening the case and giving the inside a good dusting as well, unseating and reseating components/cables, if you havn't already done so.
    The processor fan & heatsink may also benafit from a good cleaning.
    Ensure all the case fans are functioning and the system isn't getting too warm.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for these good suggestions. Some I've done already: have uninstalled a few seldom used programs and removed a bunch from start up. Have also blown out the dust from components (one of the fans got very noticeably quieter afterward), which I do fairly regularly. I haven't, though, looked at event viewer in a while and have not run a checkdisk, so I will look at those next.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The Event Viewer definitely has items in it in the Application and System folders. I've looked up the event ID and names, but can't really make out if any of them are significant. In Systems, many Service Control Manager 7035 & 7036 (as well as some 7026's), some Tcpip 4226, cdrom 51.
    In Applications, they seem more random though there's a bunch of gupdate 0 and ccEvtMgr 1 & 26.

Will do a Chckdsk tonight.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update in case it should prove useful for anyone -- slipstreaming XP Media Center Edition seems to be problematic. (Found other posts about this after the fact.) It would not install correctly and then when I attempted to do the non-destructive reinstall with the original (SP2) MCE disk, that further messed things up. So, for better or for worse, I ended up spending the Memorial Day weekend -- and continuing into much of this week -- performing a clean install and reloading applications.

After the initial bad reinstall, I was able to restore to my previous XP, but after the non-slipstreamed reinstall, the restore dates were gone. Hence the clean install.