4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE affects Spider Solitaire (5 or 6)

This is weird - I have 2 AMD systems and 2 Intel systems (but don't know if that matters). The fastest is an AMD 1.4GHz T-Bird with 256Mb DDR with an ATI 32Mb DDR video card. The fastest Intel is a 400. Here's the problem: When dealing the cards in the Spider Solitaire came that comes with Windows (98 and Me), on the AMD systems the cards take about 1 second each to inch across the screen - the sound fires off like a machine gun however. On the Intels (the slowest being a 233MHz w/ 128Mb and a measly 4Mb Video card) the cards fly in-sync with the sound taking a second or two for the whole deal. I have swapped video cards (PCI and AGP) amongst the systems and the problem stays with the AMDs.

I have gone to a couple computer stores and seen the slow animation on several demo systems (BTW - yes, animation is turned on in the options menu)

So now the weird part - if I load up Outlook Express, the spider cards fly. Close OE and they crawl, start OE again and they fly.

Why? How can I make them fly all the time without firing up OE first? Is this a video mapping issue (although OE can be minimized and Spider still works)?

Ideas?

later...
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE affects Spider Solitaire (5 or 6)

i think it's a different twist on another common problem with some of the 16 bit windows games. after installation of some software, solitare won't run if the app is also running. close the app and you can play solitare. i'll see if i can find the details on it - and pass along the OE info to see if it helps them too.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something NOT running after installing (and/or loading) another program I can understand. But having to run a supposedly totally unrelated program (Outlook Express) just to get Spider running correctly baffles me. And since these are both native Windows programs (as much as Microsoft is noted for writing it own native original code - Ha!), that is they are both installed during the Windows install process, and since we all know that MS strictly adheres to industry standards - double Ha! - I would at least expect a MS product made for and included with Windows to run properly.

And there's still the AMD issue - I have not seen the problem on Intel machines, only AMD. But having said that, I also have a AMD K-6 500 on an FIC VA-503+ AT motherboard system that works fine.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I have the problem on a 1.7GZ Intel machine.
    Legare Coleman

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And that's an Intel P4 - Hmmm! Did you open Outlook Express to see if the card animation then ran correctly?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW - it works on my AMD.

Do all the computers have the same software instaleld or do the AMD's have something the intels don't?

As for the known issue with 16 bit games - it makes no sense because the apps in question don't share dlls or anything with the 16 bit apps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am beginning to think it may have nothing to do with Intel vs. AMD - since an earlier post said it was happening on his P4.

Currently there are other apps loaded on the different systems but several weeks ago when I first noticed the problem, I was building new systems for my wife and son. My son has a Duron 700 and my wife the 1.4 T-Bird. These were brand new HDs with fresh installs of WinMe. No other apps. At the time, I tried several troubleshooting options, flashing BIOSs, new video drivers, reinstalling Me, and even including different MBs on my son's (started with a BioStar and ended with the Asus A7V133). I swapped in and out 3 different V-cards, two AGP and a PCI with both NVidia and Rage ATI. Nothing made a difference.

I even took the system back to where I bought the MB combo and they troubleshot it for a couple days claiming they swapped everything but to no avail - that's when I checked a couple systems at their shop and we noticed it was only on the AMDs including one of the tech's personal systems.

Since everything else seemed to work fine, including the Spec Ops II game I loaded on the 700, and my wife was REAL happy with her Asus A7A266, 1.4GHz T-Bird with 256Mb DDR, 32Mb DDR ATI Radeon screamer, I blew it off as a MS/AMD thing - until a couple days ago when I read on another board about Outlook Express.

Now I am back to scratching my head - especially since Lagare said his Intel 1.7 is doing the same thing.

I guess no real harm is happening - it's just one of those things that is just not right that drives you crazy - and more so when it happens on the what should, and at all other times is, a screaming machine!

later...
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────