Thanks

IE 9 crashes and restarts when downloading (SOLVED!)

I have an Alienware laptop with Win 7 Home Premium x64 installed on it, and IE 7 and 8 have been working fine on it. I used IE 9 during the beta, and I upgraded to the full version when it was released. The latest browser worked fine during the beta, but ever since I installed the full version, I've had a problem. Every time I attempt to download anything, from any website, IE 9 will simply stop responding and restart. It doesn't matter what I'm trying to download, or when, it just crashes and restarts. I've deleted it and reinstalled it a couple of times, reset the browser to default settings, removed all add-ons in case they were causing a conflict, and cleaned the registry of some IE entries it found. Regardless, nothing seems to work, but I know it can't be my AV, because I can download anything perfectly well with IE 8. The problem only just arose after I got the full version of IE 9. I'm completely stumped!
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-05-27 at 18:21.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    I have a similar problem but it only happens every now and then...
    I never could figure out what it is...
    Maybe others here know how to solve that problem...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Are you using the 32 Bit or 64 Bit version of IE9? When you have a 64 Bit OS and download the 64 Bit IE9, both the 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions are installed. The 64 Bit version does not seem to work as well as the 32 Bit version yet. On the Start Orb, All Programs you will see both versions listed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Diogones (2011-05-25)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is there an error message?

Have you checked the Event Logs?

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks all for your replies! No Joe, I checked the Event Logs, but found nothing other than "IE closed unexpectedly" as the description for IE's crash. I don't get any error messages other than an "IE has stopped responding is restarting now," sort of message.

Fortunately, I can mark the thread as solved, because Sir Ted has saved the day - the 64-bit version is what was causing the problem. I didn't know that both the 32 and 64 bit versions are installed when the 64 bit is downloaded. Once I switched to the 32 bit version, the download error/crash stopped. Hooray for Ted!
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Well that was a rousing thanks, so thank you for that. I'm glad I could help. Hopfully, some day, the 64 Bit version will be equally as good, reliable, secure and fast as the 32 Bit version. Until that time the 32 Bit version works just fine. Thanks again and have a great day!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy