New Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping track of updates and patches

Does anyone know of a standardized system for keeping track of the vast plethora of patches and updates to all of the software out there. I am not looking for a program like Oil Change to automatically update my system. I am talking about a system to neatly and concisely record each update released, which apps or OS versions it applies to, what it fixes, and if it is really recommended by experts besides the manufacturers. Once the patches are codified then it will be relatively easy to record which patches are applied to which computers. This would be best used by consultants and corporate IT managers. At this point, I can't even figure out if Microsoft has a consistent naming or numbering scheme for their updates and patches.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keeping track of updates and patches

Hi
    You don't say what OS you're running, but a good way to keep up with the sort of things you mention is a package from MS called Critical Updates Notification. This keeps track of what patches etc. you've installed and lets you now when there's a new one.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

It doesn't matter what OS I am running. I want to be able to record all the patches that are available for all the versions of whatever OS or application I might want to track. The question was not, "How do I make sure I have all of tha latest patches that Microsoft wants me to install on my personal machine whether I want them or not?" All Critical Update Notification does is keep bugging you until you install every patch Microsoft wants to shove onto your system even if it does things that you don't want.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

?? That's why I wanted to know what system you're running. Critical Update Notification works like that for some versions of Windows, but it doesn't do that for Win 2kP (at least not the way I'm using it).
    The CUN Package lets you know when new patches are available. So far it hasn't bothered me at all. And before you knock MS any further, bear in mind that patches plug the security holes (ok they shouldn't have been there in the first place) which stop worms getting into your machines. If you don't install patches, you're asking for trouble (unless you've got everything in your Restricted Zone). I don't recall they do anything else that you 'might not want'. Patches are not the same as Service Packs - but if you've got your own interests at heart, I'd even suggest that you update with everything available. Either that or scrap OE and use another browser.

In any case, and in response to your first post, the MS site will list the updates for various versions, and will let you print them off.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

You still aren't getting the question. I never said anything about not wanting to install patches. That is just not what I am asking about now.

Never mind. Just forget it. I should have known better that to expect anything but the same pat answers to questions that weren't even asked just like the rest of the industry puts out. I will just have to figure out my own system.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your question was
    <hr>Does anyone know of a standardized system for keeping track of the vast plethora of patches and updates to all of the software out there<hr>
    and the answer is NO.

What you are asking would take a lot time and manpower and would never be up to date. The likes of Oil Change will do a fare job, but will NOT cover ALL software as asked in your question.

Here at Woody's Lounge we do NOT use canned answers. We are all here to share with each other. MerC was trying to get to what your REAL and acceptable needs are, so that he or someone else would be able to help.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You aren't reading the question either. I didn't say I wanted a database of all the updates to all software out there. I am looking for a system that would work well for any software that I might care to keep track of.

Please, just give it up. Delete this entire thread.

I thought I could keep from reinventing the wheel but now I find myself wasting my time explaining over and over again that I didn't want someone to give me a catalog of every type of wheel ever made. I just wanted to see if anyone had ever seen a wheel and, if so, how was it made.

It's as if I asked how double-entry accounting worked and you told me it would be impractical for me to have constantly updated balance sheets for every company in the world. How would you like it if every time you asked for directions to the post office people (who claimed to be cartographers) just kept telling you how to address a letter?

I provide lots of good help to people in various newsgroups because I actually read their question. However, I feel shortchanged because whenever I ask a question all I get is a bunch of non-answers to questions I didn't ask and I go through the same run around that I am now. It's just not worth it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe <A target="_blank" HREF=http://catchup.cnet.com/catchup/cu/index/index.html?tag=st.cn.1.ftsv.cu>CatchUP</A> from the [url}Cnet.com[/url] site will work.

You know what... it probably isn't what you want, but since this is a site where we all try to help each other, I thought I'd give it a shot.
    Christopher Baldrey

ileacy

Chris:

Tried out Catchup. Very good service. Only problem I had was getting back to it a second time.

Finally realized that once the CatchUp client was installed it was loaded by going back to the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://catchup.cnet.com/>CNet Catchup</A> site and clicking the Software Updates or Security Fixes links to lauch the client.