2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

replacing hard drive in HP laptop

I have an 18 month old HP laptop with "SHORT DST FAILURE". If I need to replace the hard drive, will a store bought WD or Seagate drive work? Will the system reject anything except another HP drive? I have the recovery disks. I hope I can get it running long enough for a full backup. It freezes shortly after booting up. No difference in safe mode. I have a Failure ID code, where can I find an explanation of the code?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Your HP probably has something other than an HP HD. I am not positive but I do not believe HP makes HD's. You can go to the Device Manager (Control Panel, Device Manager) and see the actual make/model of HD in your PC.

As long as the HD has the same form factor (size) it should work. You will have to get the same type of HD, ISE versus SATA, etc. Just pull the present HD and take it with you to do your shopping. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Make sure you make a full system Image before making any changes to your system. You also have to make a Boot Disk from whatever Imaging app you use. You can then install the new HD and boot to the app Boot Disk and restore from the Image you created. Laptops are a little tougher because you can not easily Clone the HD, but the Image should work nicely.

The problem you may encounter is a driver issue so research what might be needed with the new HD ahead of time, and if special drivers are needed have them downloaded to a flash drive or SD card for use when you make the change.

In your case since the HD fails so early on, the Imaging may not work. In that case your OS would have to be reinstalled from scratch.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-18 at 05:50.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

alternative image creation

I don't think it will run long enough to make an image file. Would it make any difference if I mounted the drive in an external case and accessed it from another computer? As is it dies less than a minute after booting up. Could it be a bad sector and by not booting from it, I could avoid the crash? Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks
    I think you are right, you will not have time to create an Image.

You could try inserting your installation DVD, going to the repair console, open a command prompt and run

sfc /scannow

This MS support article discusses SFC.

You can also run:

chkdsk /r /f

from that same command prompt. This will check for and fix disk errors. May not be 100 % but perhaps it will give you the time to create an Image.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-06-18 at 07:22.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    You can find a generic You Tube video on replacing your hard drive here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U23F8JuKKE

The process should be very similar for your HP.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    paulh,

Hello... I know that this sounds crazy...but I have heard tell of some that removed the HD and placed it in a plastic bag ,then put it (HD) in the freezer overnight... Then Quickly reinstalled the HD and moved off some important data folder \ file. Hey you have nothing to loose to try doing an Image....Good Luck ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    A short dst failure means the HD is failing, you can replace the hard disk with one of the same or larger capacity and then just run a factory restore via the recovery disk set.

If you want to try saving data from the old hard drive, check on Amazon/ebay/overstock for a PC USB to IDE/SATA Converter Cable Set. It's like $9 has cables to hook up all kinds of hard drives. I just did it with my dead laptop HD , just plugged the cable on the HD then plugged in to the usb port on my new computer mounted right up. Its just a matter if the HD has any life left .
    Last edited by aloarjr810; 2012-06-18 at 17:13.

Thanks
    I have also heard of the freezer trick. Don't know if it will give enough time to create an Image, but worth trying. I had forgotten about that trick Fred.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted