3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD burners seen as CD-ROMs

I am using XP PRO, SP3, everything updated. When I tried to burna DVD on a Sony DVD DW-D22A Dual-layer burner I got an "Invalid media" warning. I tried the other drive, a Memorex dual-layer. Same message. In Device Manager both drives are listed as DVDs, both shown as "working properly." I tried Update Driver but the wizard "could not find a better driver."

I tried uninstalling them in Device manager, re-booted, same result.

I tried Microsoft Fixit. Ran the repair program. It said the drive could not burn a DVD.

I can understand that any drive can simply fail, but two? From different manufacturers? At the same time? Well I suppose it could be a conspiracy! A friend had this problem years ago, he can't now remember the fix, but thinks it was a matter of editing the upper and/or lower registry? Can anyone explain.

Thanks
    This may seem a simple question, but was the type DVD you were attempting to use compatible with the burners. (i.e. +, -, etc) I am not totally familiar with this on DVD's but I know CD's are rated like this and optical media devices are also rated like this. Like I said probably a foolish thought, but sometimes simple things work best.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, both drives are all-swinging, all-dancing read/write anything, and both were working the last time I tried them.

Thanks
    I'm wondering if either your burning software has become corrupted, or perhaps your XP is corrupted. I would uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller) the reinstall the burning software. Otherwise perhaps a repair install of XP may be needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose the software might be the problem, I'm using Nero 8 but I seem to remember complaints about earlier versions. I'll try something else before tear things apart.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As your friend suggested, you may want to look at Upper and Lower filters....
    Here is one of many possible Google searches ...
    upper and/or lower filters

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleting the Upper & Lower filters solved the problem. The filters are in:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my XPpro SP3 system, the combo drives are sometimes - not consistently - shown as 'CD-Drive', but Imgburn never has a problem burning any sort of media. I used Nero for several years, then it started acting badly, so I abandoned it in favor of free S/W. I heartily recommend Imgburn and the other products from that same maker.