Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000/Office 2010 Starter under Windows 7 Ultimate 64

About a year ago, I installed Office 2000 (my preferred version) under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a Lenovo T410 laptop. It installed without any problems, and has been running fine for a year without any problems. I realize that some Microsoft sites now say that Office 2000 isn't compatible with 64-bit Windows 7. However, at the time I installed it, some Microsoft sites said that it should work, and essentially said "try it and see." I have kept that T410's operating system updated, again without problems.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a Lenovo T510 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for my daughter. It came with Office 2010 Starter installed. While I was able to install Office 2000 without a problem on the machine, and the other Office 2000 components I tried worked without a problem, when I launched Word 2000 it hung. It gave an error message (which I have since misplaced) that led me to believe that it was not able to load Normal.dot. Indeed, it appeared that Normal.dot had not been created, as Office 2000 does the first time it is launched. I tried everything I could find in the MS Knowledge Base, as well as manually installing a Normal.dot in the correct templates folder, all without success. I also tried returning the machine to the factory load, uninstalling Office 2010 Starter using Remove/Install Programs, and then installing Office 2000. While uninstalling Office 2010 Starter appeared to work, Word 2000 demonstrated the same problem. I finally had to give up and install a copy of Office 2003. That worked. (My daughter did not want to suffer the productivity loss that would have resulted from installing Office 2007 or 2010 with its new user interface, and she also wanted to remain "interface-compatible" with her workplace, which uses 2000 or 2003.) I should add that I also contacted Lenovo about this. While they tried very hard, they had not had experience with Office 2000 under 64-bit Windows 7 (not surprising!), and they were unable to help. They did share my suspicion that the problem was probably connected to the presence of Office 2010 Starter (among other reasons, that being the only significant difference in the software load between my T410 and my daughter's T510).

I am now faced with the prospect of getting another Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and some trial version of Office 2010 pre-installed for my wife (it can't be ordered without Office 2010 trial version installed). I would very much like to be able to install Office 2000 on it and have it work. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Can anyone suggest something else I might try?

I appreciate your help.

Ross

Administrator
    Thanks
    Be sure to uninstall Office 2010 starter first. Try running the Office 2000 installer in compatability mode - right click the .exe, click on the compatability tab, choose an OS (try XP SP3 first).

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000/Office 2010 Starter under Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Joe -

I did uninstall Office 2010 Starter first. However, I hadn't thought of running the Office 2000 installer in compatibility mode. I'll give that a try. What is strange about all of this is that Office 2000 appears to install without a problem, and PowerPoint, Excel, and Access appear to work normally. The only problem is that Word launches, displays its opening screen, but then won't respond. Word works fine if launched with the /a option (of course, then you have no Normal.dot).

Thanks for your help.

Ross

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try taking ownership of normal.dot &/or the folder in which it is stored. See How to take ownership for detailed instructions.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -

Thanks. However, because Word had never been opened and then closed, it didn't create a Normal.dot. That was why I tried adding one myself. The fact that Word would open normally with /a but not without /a does suggest that it was trying to open a template and hung on doing that. However, as far as I could tell, there wasn't a Normal.dot for it to open, so I don't know what was causing it to hang.

Ross

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you added a normal.dot I suggest you move it somewhere else and let Word try to create one. Try taking ownership of C:\users\(your user name)\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -

Thanks again. Actually, I tried this both ways. I did take ownership of the Templates folder. I made certain there was no Normal.dot there, and tried to let Word make one (it didn't). I also put a Normal.dot in the Templates folder, with the same result. I think there is something causing Word to hang before it gets to the point of worrying about Normal.dot. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.

Ross

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you ever get the error message again?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've Vista HP with 2000 Premium patched working well with sp1, sp2 and sp3 installed in compatibility mode 2000 operating system. Ran into trouble after i follishly updated Sp1 and Sp2 Windows updates. Microsoft locked three in particular registry entries and i can no longer repair or update Office 2000, though it still works fine as it is i think encased in net-frame-work with its Sp3. I sort Windows Update Support which was later granted forever, there only response was i should purchase a new Office Suit. I was able to unlock two of the registry entries but not the third, and though i have tried i've been able to uninstall preloaded trial versions of Office. Revo will move them but operating system files get deleted...
    Possibly you install disk detected installation of the later version