Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Upgrading Acer Black AX3400G-U4802 PC

Looking at above PC and it has the Windows 7 Home Premium OS, the four applications that I want/need to install for sure are Quicken 2009 and Microsoft Office 2003 and Firefox/Thunderbird duo. I am not familiar with 64 bit at all as 32 bit has been weapon of choice obviously. When I purchased the emachine I have now 5 yrs ago I had no problems doing the reinstall of the above (minus the 09 Quicken) applications with no problems and just wondering if I should get some help.

I was going to just upgrade present machine but by the time you pay for the 7 upgrade and then add another 2 Gb of ram etc for another 200.00 I get a brand new machine, 3.1Ghz Dual Core Processor, 9 USB ports, HDMI, 4 Gb ram and 1 Tb hard drive. It's kinda a no-brainer. for 398.00

Just worried about the application installs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can always check the Micosoft compatibility center:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx

Basically, there is no issue with installing 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows. I'm running 64-bit and about 2/3rds of my apps are 32-bit. The only questionable one is Office 2033 due to how old it is, but the compatibility site says it should be OK:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...pi=8&os=64-bit

Thanks
    I was originally running Quicken 2008 Deluxe on my Win 7 64 Bit PC when I chose to upgrade to Quicken 2011. Should have no problem with Quicken. Others have installed Office 2003 onto Win 7 64 Bit without problems. Be sure to uninstall any trial Office products before the installation. FF and Thunderbird should also work fine. Good luck with FF, been lots of problems reported with v4. Have you tried IE9 (32 Bit)? It beats the pants off FF in my opinion.

As stated, most 32 Bit apps should run fine with Win 7 64 Bit. There should be no installation difficulties. The Compatibility Center may provide insight.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-05-22 at 15:12.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2011-05-22)

Thanks
    That eases my fears a bit, I have used FF 5 years or so because of the security problems/rumors etc. I am upgraded to V4. I will check out the compatibility ctr. Thank You.

Thanks
    Glad I was able to ease your fears. I have used Quicken for several versions over several versions of Windows, from about Win 98 and onward to Win 7. I used Quickem 2008 for XP, Vista and Win 7, but finally decided to upgrade. Plus they offered a good price.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife uses Thunderbird on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit which was upgraded from Vista. My identical computer runs FF without a problem as well as Quicken 2010 and now 2011. I agree that Office 2003 should pose no problems for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2011-05-24)

Thanks
    Hi NBB,

I run MS Office 2003 on Windows 7 Pro, and it runs great, no negative issues whatsoever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok new questions has anybody here purchased the key to open Office 2010 and if so how much was it,
    if I do decide to upgrade and again I'm using word assume will2003 documents excell outlook etc from 2003 be able to just move right over or restore Outlook etc etc etc. Friday is new PC day and just trying to get all ducks/worries in a row ahead of time.

Thanks
    Good morning, NBB.

Office 2010 will open files saved in the Office 2003 format, and you can also save files in Office 2010 in the Office 2003 format in case you use Office 2003 on another computer. I have not used Office Outlook 2003, but according to this MS Technet article, Outlook 2010 will open, read, and use Outlook files created in earlier versions of Outlook, at least from Outlook 2003 and later.

I've not purchased a key for Office 2010, so hopefully another Lounger can provide you that info.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Ok new questions has anybody here purchased the key to open Office 2010 and if so how much was it,
    if I do decide to upgrade and again I'm using word assume will2003 documents excell outlook etc from 2003 be able to just move right over or restore Outlook etc etc etc. Friday is new PC day and just trying to get all ducks/worries in a row ahead of time.
    Your Office 2003 files should open with no problem in Office 2010. The cost of Office 2010 depends on which SKU of the Office suite you purchase. Each SKU has different products included. I suggest you search for the best price from a reputable vendor.

NOTE: If you need to share Office 2010 files with versions older than Office 2007 the PCs with the old version should install the Office compatibility pack.

Joe

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, I am now using paid versions of AVG and Agnitum Outpost Firewall. Have heard about about
    Microsoft security Essentials getting some good reviews etc. Suggestions, I have had no problems with present security but with new OS would like to get good start/info.

I am impressed with support here and quickness of help replies. I'm 74 and purchased 1st PC at age 51, a Tandy from Radio Shack, how far have we come. Mind Boggling to say the least.

Thanks
    I am going to just stick with Office 2003 as I am use to it and it has been problem free. I am now using paid versions of AVG and Outpost firewall. Heard that Microsoft security essentials has got some good reviews. Any suggestions/info.

I got my 1st PC at age 51 (74 now) a Radio Shack Tandy. It's mind boggling the changes and the support that is out here now. Hopefully this will be my last PC upgrade but you never know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I was originally running Quicken 2008 Deluxe on my Win 7 64 Bit PC when I chose to upgrade to Quicken 2011. Should have no problem with Quicken. Others have installed Office 2003 onto Win 7 64 Bit without problems. Be sure to uninstall any trial Office products before the installation. FF and Thunderbird should also work fine. Good luck with FF, been lots of problems reported with v4. Have you tried IE9 (32 Bit)? It beats the pants off FF in my opinion.

As stated, most 32 Bit apps should run fine with Win 7 64 Bit. There should be no installation difficulties. The Compatibility Center may provide insight.
    One last inquiry, I now am using 2 XP eMachines one I use as backup in case of any problems occurring with main PC (hard drive crash/Virus etc) Quicken and Office word documents and excel data files and Outlook entries once a week or so are moved to backup PC. I also use something called MozBak to transfer FF and Thunderbird e-mail to backup machine. This program gives me an emergency PC which I like as Murphy's law likes to visit once in a while.

Can I continue with the above backup program. Windows 7 to XP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    One last inquiry, I now am using 2 XP eMachines one I use as backup in case of any problems occurring with main PC (hard drive crash/Virus etc) Quicken and Office word documents and excel data files and Outlook entries once a week or so are moved to backup PC. I also use something called MozBak to transfer FF and Thunderbird e-mail to backup machine. This program gives me an emergency PC which I like as Murphy's law likes to visit once in a while.

Can I continue with the above backup program. Windows 7 to XP.
    Hi NBB,

If you are referring to the MozBak program to transfer FF and Thunderbird e-mail, then you should have no problem. I use the latest version on Windows 7 without difficulty.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-26 at 06:49.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2011-05-26)

Thanks
    Alright over another small hurdle (mozbak) Just read something this morning that when word files are transferred from W7 to XP they would be read only files and I'm assuming excel might be the same. The setup I have now if main PC crashes I can just move backup PC to front room and use it without skipping a beat while other PC can be carried off to PC hospital for healing. When you're not brightest bulb in box it makes life much easier to have a plan B.

From what everybody has replied the install of Office 2003 and assorted data file should be no problem. Then I started wondering about the ping pong effect of backup machine. If I can get some more info, PC will be purchased tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast