New Lounger
    Thanks

Can not find folder for .ACL files

After re-installing windows7 and office2010 + proofing tools for 6 languages I found my old acl files under windows.old but I cannot find the current ones. They are not under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office , in fact, there is not even a directory AppData visible under USERNAME. SHOW HIDDEN FILES is actuated. Autocorrect functions in all 6 langages though. Where can I find the current acl files to replace them with my previous ones?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Please do not hijack another thread with a similar question. Start your own threads from now on.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    The .acl files are in that location. If you can't see an AppData folder double check that "Show hidden files and folders" is selected in Windows Explorer. Please post a screen shot of your folder view options.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Apology + screenshots

Sorry Joe, I thought the most simple & effective way was to add onto the thread since my problem is similar.

Uploading the attachments I noticed that I cannot access Anwendungsdaten in the upload screen, but I can access AppData. This screen shows German & English folder names. There's no Roaming, etc. under AppData either.

Hope you can make sense out of the screenshots & your German will improve.

Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    It has been a long time since I've seen German phrases but I can manage.

I'm not sure what to say now. All the users I see on any Windows 7 installation except for "Public" have an AppData folder with Local, LocalLow, & Roaming folders beneath AppData. I don't know if this is a difference between the US English & German versions of Windows or if I am missing something.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The mystery is that I cannot even find the current default acl files using the windows search function on the computer. It only comes up with my previous acl files which were saved under windows.old when re-installing windows7. These I would like to restore. Yet the default acl files are somewhere in the system because they work.
    Is it possible to change the windows menu language without re-installing windows? I'D STILL LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION:Siegfried

AFTER DOWNLOADING WINDOWS7 SERVICE PACK1 PLUS A FEW OTHER UPDATES I HAD TO REBOOT - AND GUESS WHAT I FOUND:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office ! AND THE ACL FILES WERE THERE TOO. I'VE REPLACED THEM WITH MY OWN VERSIONS AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Siegfried
    Last edited by cantovento; 2011-05-23 at 13:24. Reason: NEW DEVELOPMENTS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if it would help to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" ?
    That is a different checkbox than "Show hidden files".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks tfspry, it was unchecked.

Administrator
    Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Although you type "AppData" in your messages, your screen shots show "ApplicationData". In my installation, the ApplicationData folders do not contain the user files and folders, but the AppData folders do. Maybe that was your issue.

Pam