New Lounger
    Thanks

new win 7 install; sp1 not displaying in win update

Hi, I'm a longtime win secrets subscriber, but never signed up for the lounge until now. This weekend I built a new computer and installed win 7 ultimate 64; unfortunately, Amazon didn't have an SP 1 version availabe. When I got the machine hooked up to the net, 122 updates showed up in windows update, but SP1 wasn't among them. Wouldn't SP1 contain the majority of these? I don't get why windows update didn't just present SP1 and then the subsequent updates afterwards.

I seem to recall that when I reinstalled XP on my current machine last year that win update showed me service packs before showing me anything else.

Anyone know why it is happening this way with win 7. Nothing else has been installed on the new box except for hardware drivers.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by icebox; 2011-05-23 at 01:10.

Thanks
    Ice box, Welcome to the Lounge. It's nice to see new members.

Download the SP1 file directly from MS. Choose the windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe file for your installation. The download and subsequent installation will take a while as it is large.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

icebox (2011-05-24)

Thanks
    Hi icebox, and I join Ted in welcoming you to the Lounge.

Even if you were able to see SP1 offered via Windows Update, I would take Ted's recommendation to download it directly for installation. I do not trust Windows Update to install service packs.

You will note that there are a number of possible downloads available for SP1. The particular one you need is 'windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe'. It is a good idea to temporarily disable your antimalware software (if there is any installed at this point) when you install SP1.

Check out this article on SP1 installation. It seems that in order for the SP1 update to be offered, "Users updating through Windows Update/WSUS must install the Servicing Stack Update (SSU) that handles the installation and removal of software updates, language packs, and optional Windows features." Still, I would leave Windows Update out of the mix, and just download and install SP1. That has the added benefit of allowing you to burn it to a DVD in case you need it again in the future.

Also, check out this MS KB article on recommended steps for installing SP1.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

icebox (2011-05-24)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by icebox View Post

Anyone know why it is happening this way with win 7. Nothing else has been installed on the new box except for hardware drivers.
    "cold one",
    Hello... Yes i can explain this.... As i have Installed SP-1 on "7" several times from a machine that has no "Updates" What happens after the initial check is that Windows will "Check and then Download then Install" ( if you have it setup so) a mess of initial "Updates and Patches" ... Once installed ...(with the first batch) you must repeat this "check and download" several times until "MS" will offer the SP-1 "thingy" Even then.... sometimes the SP-1 will fail to install because of some missing patch. If you do get a failure on the installation of SP-1, at that point post back with whatever "Error Code " and will try to help you. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-24 at 05:14.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

icebox (2011-05-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I find it odd that you need to have updates in order to download the service pack. I had seen all the advice about avoiding windows update and was planning on grabbing the service pack from Microsoft for future use. I was just puzzled about the fact that WU showed 120+ updates, most of which predate the SP, when they could have just shown the SP.

Thanks
    Unfortunately there are a few updates that allow SP1 to install correctly. See this article from MS. If Gerald referenced same, sorry for repeat.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Ted Myers says - Windows 7 sp1 takes a while to download and install - dead right - 4+ hours on an ASUS (Intel Core i3 processor) that's broadband, not dial-up!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poltor View Post
    As Ted Myers says - Windows 7 sp1 takes a while to download and install - dead right - 4+ hours on an ASUS (Intel Core i3 processor) that's broadband, not dial-up!
    That is very much dependent on the download speed and the machine on which the update is applied. It took me less than about an hour on one machine to download and install. From that point it took about 30 - 45 minutes on other machines to install.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If one was to use the DOWNLOAD method, one must download the complete file, that will cover ALL versions of Windows 7. But if one goes through the Windows update, only the data required for the installed version, will be downloaded. If I remember right the SP1 through Windows update to less than 30 minutes to download and install.

YES, there are several REQUIRED updates before the SP1 will appear in the list. I think it appeared on the 2nd session and then IE 9 appeared on the 3rd session, but I may be wrong on both of these.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.