4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Card Report (97/SR2)

I realize that's not a very good description for a subject but I didn't know what else to call it.
    I am in charge of the Sunday School program at our church. As part of our contact with the students program, each Sunday the teachers send out postcards to 2 students. If anyone in their class has a birthday coming up, they send a postcard to that student(s) and decrease the number of cards they send to other students. In other words if one student in their class has a birthday coming up, they send one birthday postcard and one regular postcard, 2 birthdays, 0 regular postcards, 3 or more birthdays, oh, well, they'll have to send out that many postcards.
    In addition, students are each in 2 different groups. A 2nd grader, for example, at our early service, is in 1st-2nd grade group, at the late service, they are in 2nd-4th grade group. I have the teachers of each group send them a birthday card. (figuring that there is no such thing as 2 many birthdays)
    I have created a query that can pull up the students that have a birthday coming up in the next week. The number of students and the groups here will change each week, of course.
    What I want to do is create a report, with a seperate page going to each teacher, by group name, telling them if they have any birthdays coming up, include the name of the student and then calculate the number of other postcards that they need to send. I'm not sure how to do this, since all the groups won't be in my query results each week. If anybody knows a way to do this, that would be great. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Post Card Report (97/SR2)

I guess I don't know enough about Sunday Schools, because this made no sense to me.

Take a group with 10 students. If 1 student has a birthday, then that student gets a postcard. Then from the remaining 9 students, 1 is picked at random to get another postcard? For what? And you need a report that tells the teacher they need to send 1 birthday card and 1 regular card? You mean the teachers can't figure out that if they are to send out 2 cards, and 1 is a birthday card, that they only need to send out 1 other card this week?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know it sounds simplistic. Maybe if I explain what I am doing manually, then it will help with getting the computer to do the work, which, after all, is what they are for.

Each Sunday I ask the teachers to send out 2 post cards. If they have any birthdays in their classes, they send out birthday postcards. I keep all the postcards and give them exactly what they need each Sunday morning. If they happen to have more than 2 birthdays, oh well, they will have to do more than 2 cards that day, doesn't happen too often. (If I don't spell it out for them, some of them are so busy, they will forget.)

There are 9 different classes. Each morning, I check the birthday list for upcoming birthdays, pull cards for those classes, then write out a list for the teacher, showing the name(s) of the students, their birthday and the age they are going to be. I know it doesn't sound like much but it takes me about 20 minutes. I figure if I can get the computer to print individual reports for each class, then all I have to do is attach the cards and I'm done.

All of the information needed is in the system, I just can't figure out how to pull it together to create the reports. For instance, I am able to create a report, with a personalized listing of the birthdays for classes that have birthdays, the problem is it ignores the classes that don't have birthdays. I realize I could create 2 reports and pull only the ones that I need from the 2nd report, but I would like to see if there is a way to get the system do it automatically. The other advantage of this is that I occasionaly get to take a vacation, so if I can leave an automated system for my replacement, so much the better.

If you can help me out, that's great, if not, I understand. Thanks for help in the past and in advance for the future.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Don,

Why not just have a single report? Include a birthday column that will have an entry in it ONLY if the birthday is within the range you specify. I think this solves all your problems. You can look at one report and immediately see how many birthdays are current, and yet the report lists all the students.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.