New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy Powerpoint slides without changing format?

Is there any way to copy Powerpoint slides into a new template without Powerpoint changing all the text, formatting, and color schemes? We often have to re-use slides and copy them into some new template designed by corporate staff. This usually requires a lengthy process of manually fixing practically everything on the slide since Powerpoint insists of changing everything to match the new template styles, invariably making everything completely useless! This has been going on for so many year that I would think that someone at Microsoft would have gotten the memo to stop all this nonsense!!!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know most people that design presentations want inserted slides from elsewhere to follow their existing colour scheme and layout. If you don't though there are several ways to do this but you need to say what version you have if you need full instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Powerpoint 2007 for Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Copy Paste

When you paste look for a little clipboard icon. Click it and select "Keep Source Format"
    Icon not there? Office Orb > PowerPoint Options > Advanced > "Tick show Paste Options"

Reuse Slides
    Home tab >New Slide Dropdown > Choose Reuse slides
    Browse to the file and make sure "Keep Source Format" box is ticked

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWilson For This Useful Post:

jsauter (2011-08-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Copy/Paste:
    That works, but only for text, not for graphics. The icon does not appear when I paste graphics.

Reuse slides:
    This is cool! I had never seen this option before. It does keep the original formatting, BUT it also keeps the original graphics, headers, footers from the original master (sigh!). That is the only part of the original slide that I want to change! We've had three owners in the last three years, and at least 5 different "official" company templates we've had to use so we constantly have to move old slides updating only the company logos and background style. I just want to keep all the fonts, sizes, graphics, and colors the same for the meat of the slide (everything not on the master). The only way to fix after reusing slides is to manually edit the new master templates that have now been created in the presentation. I'm not sure which is going to be less work: copying and fixing the slides or trying to fix the master template (that is locked in our organization so it is hard to duplicate). I've tried several tricks (resetting the slide to the default settings, or moving the new master slide template under the original slide master set but both of those change the colors in my graphics to the new color scheme which of course royally screws up the graphics).

Thanks for your help, but I guess I'm still stuck with a lot of manual cleanup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsauter View Post
    Copy/Paste:
    It does keep the original formatting, BUT it also keeps the original graphics, headers, footers from the original master (sigh!). That is the only part of the original slide that I want to change!
    You can play with the "Keep source formatting" switch in the Reuse slides dialog (tho' based on your comments I don't think it will solve your problem in full but it should allow you to keep the text formatting). The problem in this scenario is that text "jumps" around because each template has positioned its' text blocks differently to accommodate new logo's etc.

What I would do is make a "hybrid" master with the graphics, headers, footers from the current company template and the positioning that will accommodate the text blocks from the previous company template (the upside is, once made you can reuse it for multiple presentations - just save it as a template).
    Then after I've brought the slides into the presentation I would use the Layout button and reapply the layout from my hybrid master. Don't forget you can select multiple slides in slide sorter view and and apply the layout to them all simultaneously.

HTH
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do exactly this with any version of PowerPoint. In the old presentation, use File, Save as, and save the slide as a JPG file. You can then insert it on top of a blank slide in the new presentation and nothing short of Microsoft Paint will change it.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

New Lounger
    Thanks

Slides merging

Thanks John Wilson. I did not knew this. It served my purpose. That's really a useful tool.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    You can do exactly this with any version of PowerPoint. In the old presentation, use File, Save as, and save the slide as a JPG file. You can then insert it on top of a blank slide in the new presentation and nothing short of Microsoft Paint will change it.

Ronny
    thanks ronny this is pretty useful information.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-06-19 at 02:09.