New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 won't boot

Several days ago my 1-1/2 year old Toshiba 5050D satellite laptop with Win home premium 7 failed to boot. The boot failure repair program ran and reported that it could not fix the problem. At one point it said corrupt registry.
    Luckily I had a set of 4 rescue DVD's that I had created earlier so I used them to reinstall Windows on partition C, keeping my D and E partitions which I had made earlier.
    The machine booted up and everything was OK I rebooted it several times.. The next day it would not boot up again. It stopped right when the Windows logo was starting to appear.It degraded to a gray screen with a small rectangle at the bottom and below that "(copyright symbol) Microsoft Corporation".
    Now whatever startup method I use, repair disk, rescue disk, startup repair it says "loading files", the white bar goes across then it reverts to the screen as described above. I can get into the BIOS and my f8 and f12 functions work but when I try to start in safe mode the process stops at "loaded: \windows \system 32 \drivers \atipcie.sys".
    Now I'm in worse shape than before because my repair disk and recovery disks will not boot and so I cannot do a reinstallation.
    I don't think the problem is my DVD drive because I can boot with an Acronis CD. Acronis says it cannot find any hard drives???
    I think that if my HD was not working I would not get any response from f8 or f12. What now? I don't want to reformat if I don't have to.
    Engineman

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If Acronis can't see the HD, then either it or the hardware interface to it has failed - given the history of symptoms I think it much more likely to be the HD itself.

Remove the HD from the machine and either replace with a new one, or if you wanted to be sure first, ask a friend if you can test it on his/her machine first. Testing consists of removing their HD, replacing it with yours and booting off your Acronis CD.

Assuming Acronis still can't see the HD, you have your diagnosis and a new HD is all that can be done.

Alternatively ask a friend to download GParted and burn onto CD, boot your machine from the GParted CD and verify that the HD cannot be seen. Once again if the HD can't be seen I afraid it's time to call it a day and replace with a new drive.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineman View Post
    a
    I don't think the problem is my DVD drive because I can boot with an Acronis CD. Acronis says it cannot find any hard drives???
    I think that if my HD was not working I would not get any response from f8 or f12. What now? I don't want to reformat if I don't have to.
    Engineman,
    Hello...Just a few thoughts..(How i would respond to the problem) First... if you have recovery disks that you have made...Nothing will be lost trying to reformat...you can always "go back" if things don't workout ...Once and if your system is back you can "Recover". No response from " BIOS " could mean your "CMOS" battery is dead. I would have a look at that first before trying the "reformat thing" .The Acronis "can't see any HD's ? (C:, D:, E:, Just partitions?)How many do you have on-board? Is your OS on a separate HD or partition? Post back .... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-23 at 18:49.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fred, sorry to be pedantic, but Engineman said he could get into BIOS. A dead CMOS battery will just give a checksum error in the BIOS, not cause a hard drive access error in Acronis.

Engineman: one thing to clarify.... at one point you say Hard Drives (plural) and another you say Hard drive (singular). Is it one or more physical drives? If one drive with multiple partitions, my advice still stands. If multiple physical drives that Acronis can't see, then it's more likely to be a motherboard failure.

Having said that I've never seen a laptop with more than one physical hard drive, so I might have just answered my own question!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Having said that I've never seen a laptop with more than one physical hard drive, so I might have just answered my own question!
    I have two in my Dell Latitude D800; one is in a D-Dock enclosure, the D-Dock being where the CD/DVD drive can go or the floppy drive or the extra battery can go.

As for the OP, I agree that it does sound like a HDD failure, with the possiblity that it could be a loose or dirty drive connection.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows