Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

UAC Settings Change Caused Black Screen

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

I changed UAC from disabled to "notify when programs try to change..." and was asked to restart to apply the change.When I did I just got a black screen.I restarted again from my System Repair disk, and Startuo Repair found no problems.I then restarted in Safe Mode but this just took me back to the same screen with the same options as the System Repair disk.Apart from System Restore,is there anything else I can do to solve the black screen problem? (I was able to open Task Manager).
    URGENT advice would be appreciated.

I am having to send this from my friend's machine-email mozart2@maltanet.net

Thanks and regards,Roy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    System Restore would be my first port of call.

However, some of the symptoms seem a bit odd:

Booting in Safe Mode takes you to your System Repair screen? That shouldn't happen as System Repair is a Windows Pre-boot environment...... and yet you can start Task Manager which only will be available when the OS is loaded.

I feel there is a missing piece of info in the above somewhere, but nonetheless, I would still go to System Restore. Just remember if initiating System Restore in Safe Mode, that it needs to compete in Safe Mode too (ie select Safe Mode when the PC restarts to complete the System Restore).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto Tech,
    When I said "I then restarted in Safe Mode but this just took me back to the same screen with the same options as the System Repair disk." the System Repair disk was, if I remember rightly, still loaded, and I might have inadvertently restarted from that.
    I tried System Restore from the System Repair disk 3 times, before I saw your post, each time choosing a different restore point. The first time I was told "An unspecified error occurred-0x800700b7", the second time I was told "System Restore failed while copying the registry from the restore point-unspecified error 0x80070570". The third time system restore succeeded.
    Why changing UAC settings caused this problem is beyond me-any ideas?
    Thanks and regards,Roy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why changing UAC settings caused this problem is beyond me-any ideas?
    Glad the System Restore worked eventually, but the fact it had a few attempts suggests there is an underlying problem and it maybe that problem is what caused the change in UAC settings to go belly up too.

If the machine is running OK now, I would be very tempted to take a system image just in case anything else goes pair shaped.

As to what caused it? Well a stab in the dark - you may have corruptions on your system drive, especially in your registry. Might be worthwhile running a chkdsk repairing any bad clusters etc and also looking at the event viewer to see if there are any indications of problems.

Thanks
    Hi Roy, type - cmd in start menu search box, right click>run as administrator, then type - sfc /scannow, hit enter.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto Tech and Roderunner, sfc /scannow found no integrity violations. However, when I looked in Event Viewer I found numerous Errors and Warnings listed, principally references to Controller Errors (not sure what that means, and I could not identify what disk(s) were involved from the Windows description),Registry Hive(s) being corrupted and recovered but with possible data loss, and, most important, references to the Disk becoming corrupt and unusable, and that I should run chkdsk. (I assume this refers to the system Disk C-is that correct)?
    I will run chkdsk on Disk C, but do you think that if chkdsk repairs whatever errors there are I should then stop worrying, or should I update my backups (which are pretty well up to date already) and reinstall Windows.
    Further advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks and regards,Roy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The SFC (System File Checker) result was good, but as you have found, you're not out of the woods yet.

The issues in the event viewer suggest one thing to me: a disk going bad. A corrupt registry hive being recovered with possible data loss, Drive corruptions and Controller errors all point to the same thing. You could try a Smart Monitor test, but may not find much in that, especially if SMART is not enabled. You could run a disk error check from within the OS, fix any bad clusters and keep your fingers crossed. However, personally I would always be worrying about the drive from that point.

If your backup images are up to date, I would cut and run - drop your latest good image onto a new drive and sleep soundly in bed at night.

Thanks
    Hi Roy, Checking your disk could help.

Attachment 28149

Thanks
    Roy, if you need disc copying software, get it free here, but you'll have to be quick.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto Tech & Roderunner,

I ran chkdsk with the f/r parameters on the C drive and no errors were found, although 4 kb in bad sectors was mentioned, but that has been mentioned whenever I have run chkdsk. I also ran the SeaTools long generic test on the drive, from within Windows,and it passed.

I also ran sfc /scannow and no integrity violations were found.

In light of the above I intend to stick with my current C drive, making sure my images are kept right up to date of course.

Do you have any further comments?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Hi Roy, the old saying 'pray for the best BUT prepare for the worst' is very relevant. I make a 'One Click' backup almost daily, using Acronis True Image Home 2010. If the fan changes colour, I can have my system restored in under 5 minutes. Replacing a HDD takes a little longer, but does not alter anything.