3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7

I have Windows 7 Home and was trying to download windows Virtual PC. apparently there is no virtual PC version for windows 7 home Premium.

I did download from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/default.aspx

but this doesn't seem to do anything other than create a folder called user name/virtual machines.

Can anyone help?

PS: I know that I can't use XPmode in Home Premium.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2011-05-24 at 12:52. Reason: added PS

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I haven't used Virtual PC on Win7 Home as a host, but on this Microsoft Page there is no reason why it shouldn't install and run. It won't enable XP mode as you note, but it should still run as a stand alone application as it would under Vista and XP.

If it installed OK and assuming all other installation requirements are met, you should have the Virtual PC program either in the start menu or in Program Files.

/Edit
    Just installed Virtual PC on a Win7 HP box and it runs just fine. In the Virtual Machines "Folder" there is a link to click to create a new VM. this opens a dialog box that you can follow. Seems a bit arcane to me, but then it's targeted at the integrated XP mode which would make sense. See attached image.

VM.JPG

Failing that, my choice for these things is VirtualBox which runs just fine on Win7 Home Premium and supports Windows, Linux and others as guest OS's out of the box.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-05-24 at 13:41.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just now looking at the XPMode page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx) and Home Premium (32 and 64 bit) was one of the selections for obtaining XPMode:

xpmode.png

Yes, it surprised me too, I thought XPMode was only for Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post

Yes, it surprised me too, I thought XPMode was only for Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate.
    I admit, it's quite confusing on that page, and it took me a couple of attempts to download the right update package, but XP Mode is not available in Win7 HP. You can download that update, but when you install it fails with an error referring to incorrect version of OS.

In the attached image, you have to click on the link next to my arrow to toggle the download to only Virtual PC rather that Virtual PC with XP Mode. In that image, I've already toggled it to just Virtual PC as can be seen by the circled headline.

Virtual PC download.JPG

So, Virtual PC is available as a stand alone application for Win7 HP, similar to VirtualBox, whereas it becomes integrated as XP Mode in the business class versions of Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate.

Nevertheless, I still use Virtual Box because I had specific compatibility issues with Virtual PC in the past - it might be better now, but better the devil you know etc.........