Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 BCC: field

Just started using BCC: in Outlook. All other e-mail programs I have used would show the mail as From: ME, and TO:Undisclosed Recipients.
    This Outlook shows the mail as From: ME, and TO: ME. The intended recipients seem to be getting the mails ok, but it is a bit disconcerting. I can't find any option to change this.
    Ideas?
    David Carter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is probably a SPAM filter avoidance technique. Many SPAM filters mark undisclosed recipients high, so Microsoft add an address.
    The address is just text, the real delivery address is in the headers - right click on the email and select Options.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep. I figure the spam/junk avoidance if it shows "Undisclosed Recipients", like Windows Mail does. What I don't understand is why it doesn't show the name of a recipient, instead of my name. It is weirding out my recipients. Long ago, I used an old Outlook Express. I think it put the real names in.
    David Carter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To and From, addresses in email are just text inserted by the email program and may not have anything to do with the real data contained in the email header. Outlook does it in a way which you think is odd, the only answer is to change email program to one that does it the way you like.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Try creating a new contact with the name of your choice and your own email address, and then use that in the To box.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

BCC: Blind Carbon Copy: A copy sent to someone not listed

BCC (originally Blind Carbon Copy) is not intended to be shown. It originally meant a carbon copy sent to one or more people that were not listed in the memo or document distribution list.

If you have an email to send to several people, it can be a courtesy to not reveal their email addresses, as is the case with the TO field. You can put yourself or someone that the email is directed to as the recipient in the TO field, and everyone else in the BCC field. Some newsletters are sent this way. Placing a long list of recipients in the TO field is generally not considered good net etiquette, unless it is a limited number of people that might be expected to email individuals in a group, such as a local networking group.

The only place that you might be able to see the BCC field is if your email program places sent emails in a "sent" or similar folder and retains the BCC list in the saved email. (e.g. Yahoo email and Outlook 2003 do this).

Note that using BCC can trip some spam filters because the recipient is not specifically listed in the TO field. Some newsletters are set up to mail individual copies addressed to each person, such as Windows Secrets, limiting the risk of getting blocked by a spam filter.

As to the original post, even though the "sent" copy of the email does not show a TO, a received copy does indeed show the original sender in the TO field if nothing was provided. (Outlook 2003). To show "Undisclosed Recipients" create a contact for "Undisclosed recipients" with your email address and a display name "Undisclosed Recipients" (without the quotes). Sample px attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lelandhamilton; 2011-06-02 at 17:15. Reason: respond to original question