2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page numbering in Word 2010

One of my co-workers is trying to insert page numbers into a document in Word 2010. This is a stand-alone document where the section starts at Section 10.0 and progresses 11.0, 12.0, etc. She has the main section heading defined as Heading 1 style. It works fine in the document, but when she tries to insert the page number as 10-1, 10-2 etc. it comes in as 1-1, 1-2. Looking at the Format Page Numbers box, Include Chapter Number is checked and is defined as starting with style Heading 1. What do we need to do to get the numbering to show automatically as 10-1?

Thanks
    I'm not very familiar with this feature, but if I choose a pre-defined multi-level list numbering scheme associated with header levels (from the Home tab on the ribbon), it seems to work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. If I choose a multi-level pre-defined list, I can choose which number to start at (changing the start number to 10). However, my co-worker is not getting this option on her computer. Also, when I change the start number to 10 and then add a page number in the footer, the heading style changes. If I add the page number first and then change the start number to 10, the style stays the same. Right now we're trying to figure out why I'm getting options that she isn't.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it the style's formatting that changes? If so, how?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Heading 1 font style changes, not just in that document, but in all documents that use Section 1 style. If I close Word and reopen it, the Style is back to normal.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What you describe could be caused by formatting problems. But I don't want to guess. Could you post a sanitized (no sensitive information) version of the document? I'd bet that someone here could help you clear away the problems.

Pam

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Caniac

If you close the document and reopen it to see the style's reset then you must have ticked the option to 'Refresh styles on open' in the Tools > Templates and Addins dialog. In Word 2010 you get this dialog via the second last button on the Developer Tab (which must be turned on via the options).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    What you describe could be caused by formatting problems. But I don't want to guess. Could you post a sanitized (no sensitive information) version of the document? I'd bet that someone here could help you clear away the problems.

Pam
    Pam, I tried doing that but I couldn't get the heading change to stay stable. If I changed the style back to normally should be, it would change in all documents including the one that originally changed when I applied the page numbering. I guess the workaround is to close Word and reopen it so that the styles go back the way they should be.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Caniac

If you close the document and reopen it to see the style's reset then you must have ticked the option to 'Refresh styles on open' in the Tools > Templates and Addins dialog. In Word 2010 you get this dialog via the second last button on the Developer Tab (which must be turned on via the options).
    Andrew - I'm not at work today, but I'll check that tomorrow. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to checking that option?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well the advantage is the document reverts to the style definitions in the attached template every time you open the document.

The disadvantages are:
    1. The styles revert to the definitions in the template regardless of whether you wanted them to or not. This can include overriding paragraph numbering that differs from the template.
    2. The document may complain if it can't find the template

Personally, I always avoid the refresh button making decisions for me and choose to refresh the styles when and if I choose.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just looked, and that feature is not checked in the developer tab. I also don't have the "Update fields before printing" checked in the Options panel. If I can get an example of what's happening to post, I'll do that later when I get a spare minute to work on it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Word 2010 variants?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    ...you must have ticked the option to 'Refresh styles on open' in the Tools > Templates and Addins dialog. In Word 2010 you get this dialog via the second last button on the Developer Tab (which must be turned on via the options).
    @Andrew - While attempting to follow this thread to see if I could learn something useful, I accessed the Templates and Addins dialog as you suggested. My dialog doesn't have a "Refresh styles on open" option; it does, however, have an "Automatically update styles" option.

This difference in the same dialog surprised me, as we're both looking at Word 2010. This leads me to wonder if there are variants of Word 2010 floating about, and whether that also may relate to Caniac's problem with differences between his system and his co-worker's system.

Just for grins, my specific version number for Word is 14.0.51203.5000. (You can access the version number from the Files tab, Help section--look in the "About..." info in the right side pane.)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @bethel95

In Word 2010 the wording for this option is 'Automatically update document styles'. I didn't go and check it before posting and I should have.

FWIW: I use a macro to do this which saves on mouse clicks and avoids the need to reopen the dialog and turn the setting off again.
    Sub RefreshStylesFromTemplate()
    'Reimports the styles from the template
    ActiveDocument.UpdateStyles
    End Sub