iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Re-examining Facebook personal privacy

KNOWN ISSUES

Re-examining Facebook personal privacy

By Scott Mace

A year after I first looked at Facebook privacy for Windows Secrets, some safeguards of user privacy have improved slightly.

But by other measures, user privacy on Facebook is worse here's what's changed.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/known-issues/re-examining-facebook-personal-privacy/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Side Effect of ISharedWhat?

I keep my Facebook privacy set to deny permission to all applications, and I want it to stay that way.

After going to ISharedWhat and logging into Facebook, I was prompted to grant it permission to access my profile. That prompt included this text:

By clicking "Allow", you will turn on platform applications and your "Info accessible through your friends" settings will be reset to their defaults. Learn about your privacy settings.
    Absolutely not! I'll do without ISharedWhat -- and all other apps -- until Facebook removes this obnoxious requirement.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have "Demanded" that Facebook DELETE ALL my information, EVERYTHING, but they will not. They should not take that approach; I wish I had never started with Facebook.