Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy How to undo botched edits of access control

In an un-smart move to make sure that my laptop running Win 7 Home Premium would be protected from tinkering by teenage children, I started changing Allow and Deny permissions for folders and files on the Hard Drive. One motivator: one of my kids had created a new folder in c:\ which contained a lot of buggy programs that he/she downloaded.
    Now, I can no longer perform a backup.
    Windows 7 Backup begins the backup onto DVD, or CD, but after cranking for while it announces "access denied" or something like that.
    Where do I start? I have been simply copying files to DVD instead of performing a backup, but it's not a very efficient alternative, and I still want to make my OS "whole" again.
    Is there some method besides copying everything into a temporary storage site, e.g. Dropbox, then reformatting the hard drive and re-installing all the applications?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    John,

A system restore using a restore point before you changed the permissions may solve the problem. If this is not possible ot does not work, I would try a repair install to see if this fixes the permissions problems. You could go through and try to remember all the changes you made, but this might not be successful (I would never be able to remember all these, perhaps your memory is better than mine).

I might also consider a more full featured Imaging app to create a full system Image, then recreate a new Image when you make changes. I feel Imaging is more reliable and complete than Win 7 System Restore. There are numerous discussions on Imaging in the Security and Backup forums.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi John, if Ted's suggestion fails, try deleting the changed permission files/folders, if any are system installed, they are un deleteable.
    Password protect your account, then create 'Standard' accounts for your little darlings.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2011-05-28)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional information:
    1) My hasty act of stupidity occurred almost a year ago. Thus, there have been countless additions/tweaks/deletions to the contents of the HD since then.
    2) I have copied the contents of My Documents periodically to disc, but of course that doesn't capture the ga-zillions of changes to the contents of the applications and all of their default settings, to IE's Favorites, Firefox's Bookmarks, and so on. It's a helluva lot easier to perform a Win 7 backup...
    3) The children have always had standard user accounts on this laptop, with their own passwords, even before the incident where one of them downloaded something similar to Runescape, thereby creating a new, unwanted folder with *.exe's, subfolders, and files.
    4) I have the only user account that is assigned administrator rights. When "the bad downloading" occurred over a year ago, that was more youthful innocence than something sinister; the one who did it apologized months ago for doing it.
    5) About six months ago or earlier, I installed Norton Internet Security's Norton Online Family. I set up Win 7's Parental Controls also. However, the physical security is now the key: the PC has become unavailable to them. On those rare occations when one of them has to use it, I watch the screen. It's annoying to all of us, but, then, so is the behaviour that has prompted these measures...
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Back to my main concern: More questions:
    1) How to I un-botch the changes that I made to the access controls on some of the major folders in the PC, and their child-folders?
    2) How complicated is it to undo any special permissions that I set up? Is it just a matter of copying the contained files to an external storage medium, then un-checking the checks that I find?
    3) Are there any standard settings for the permissions applied to the critical folders within Windows, like C:\Windows, C:\Program Files?
    Thanks in advance.
    John
    Last edited by JohnS0603; 2011-05-28 at 17:57. Reason: ease of reading and improved clarity

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,
    The passwords on this PC have been set up that way from the day that I got it; please note recent additional information, 2011-05-28 17:52 EDT.
    I'm interested, though, in your first sentence; are you merely saying to delete the folders (and, of course, whatever they contain) whose properties/access controls/permissions I have tinkered with?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi John, their are 2 options. If you changed permission on C: drive & are able to delete these folders, do it, but save the contents first. Now as your still signed on as yourself, delete all other accounts & user files.
    Now for the bad news, if after doing above, the PC still acts unusually, the only cure all, is a clean install.
    If a clean install is required, tell me first, I have vital info for you on correct procedure.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!