New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer driver for all users?

Does anyone know of a way in Windows 7 to add a print driver that will show up for all users? I would like to do this without having to install the driver after logging into each user.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyjo View Post
    Does anyone know of a way in Windows 7 to add a print driver that will show up for all users? I would like to do this without having to install the driver after logging into each user.

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I installed my printer logged on as a member of the Administrators Group, and the printer is available to all users without further ado.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I added a printer wind Windows 7 Professional, all users were administrators. The driver was not present when I went into the next user??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The driver should be available. All users still have to add the printer. Are you saying that the individual user can not add the printer?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The users can add the driver. I would just like to add it once and have it available for all users.

Tyjo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this printer a local one or one on a network?

On all of my systems, when ever a printer is added, it is available to ALL of the users, even a new account that is added after the printer is added.

This has been this way since Windows 98.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is on a network, but there is no domain and no active directory. Just a small work group. It has always worked for me on XP Pro until Windows 7 Pro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have a Workgroup network and once the printer has been shared, it is found one the next restart of the other networked machines. At that time then the "Default" printer needs to be selected and set.

Are all of the machine Windows 7 or is there a mix?
    Is this printer connected to a Windows 7 machine or a XP machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think I understand either, installing a driver goes to system32 on the main hard drive does it not ?

In which case it is accessed by all users.

Unless the other users are on different computers, but in a network, you have to default the driver/printer on each machine to use the same printer.

If they are on one computer, just make sure the default printer you want is selected as the old one will still be there as default. Windows is not that perceptive to know which printer you are going to use.