2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

European privacy laws & Cookies

Today European privacy laws come into force in the UK, with the intention of giving internet users more control over the data websites gather about them. New rules require websites to obtain consent when placing 'cookies' on your computer, mobile or other device. Cookies are used all over the web for a variety of reasons - from enabling basic functionality to help the web remember your preferences, to creating detailed profiles of your browsing activity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...s_changes.html

Thanks
    The BBC appears to link to the wrong info. Here is the UK ICO's PDF guidance for web masters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This issue has been running for some time now, but the consensus that I have come across is that it is a bad law: almost impossible to implement to the letter without seriously breaking users surfing experience.

/soapbox mode on

As an example: amongst other things, I admin a Primary School website in the UK. How then should I discuss the law with the Head Teacher, the contracted Web Host and the Education Authority to determine the best adherence to the law when they all will have different positions and skill sets? .....and how on earth do I present the question to users of the site who are as young as 5 years old!

Parents are frightened enough (justifiably so in some cases) of their children using the Internet. To have thousands of websites suddenly all ask for permission to store data about their activities and systems is likely to lead to more confusion and distrust. I might even speculate that there will be scams waiting right now to pick up on this and compromise unsuspecting people.

/soapbox mode off

I think I need a large whiskey.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    I think I need a large whiskey.....
    I think you misspelt it - L a p h r o a i g ?

Let's get back to Common Law and find some sensible humans in the mould of Lord Denning to oversee it.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I think you misspelt it - L a p h r o a i g ?
    all hail to one who knows his Malt

'twas a large one too....