theld

Limitations in To Field

Does anyone know what the limit is on the number of addressees you can have in the To field of an email?
    Also, is that the same as the number of items in a distribution list? We are using C/W mode.

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limitations in To Field

physical numbers, not sure. 300 if often mentioned as the recommended limit, which may not be the physical limit.
    file size limitations is generally about 32k, might be differnet for DL's, especially if using a GAL.
    the big reason for limiting the members is for send time.

susabelle

As I understand it, there really aren't limits. You can email your entire global list if you want, and that could be in the thousands. One of the big advantages to moving to Outlook from older emails is that there was a limit before, now there isn't.

-Susabelle

theld

I know there is a limit to the number of items in a DL - we ran into it, but none of us can remember the exact number. My impression was that the limitation existed as well in the To field, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

copy the addresses to a notepad file. whatever you need to get to 32k is the limit. the exact number of addreses can vary from message to message. but that doesn't mean it's wise to send that many, outlook is known to die trying.

i thought it's a limit over the entire address fields and not 32k per field.

You might want to check at http://www.slipstick.com and see if you can find more information.