New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 sees but can't open XP folders

Hi all,

I know various forms of this problem are all over--I've read them and implemented/tested tons of suggestions. All my networking works now, except Win 7 cannot open shared folders on XP...unless XP is in safe mode(!) So, hope someone can kindly help.

- Win 7 is desktop system cabled to wireless router; XP is laptop connecting via wireless adapter
    - I'm using HOME versions of both Win 7 and XP (alas)
    - XP can open the shares on Win 7 system.
    - Permissions on XP: Trying to get this to work, I have given full control of several folders to: everyone, sjoy, and guest.
    - Win 7 shows the shares in "Network", but when I try to open one I get msg: "\\LAPTOP\foldername is not accessible. You might not have permission..."

Other settings are listed below. As said, Win 7 can open shares when XP is in safe mode, which must be meaningful but I don't know what to do with this info.

Can someone please give me a hand before my head explodes? Thanks very much.

***OTHER SETTINGS***
    - Workgroup on both systems = WORKGROUP
    - Name and password is same on both
    - "guest" is enabled on XP
    - On Win 7, Network and sharing show: "Home network," Homegroup = Joined, Connections = Local Area Connection
    Advanced sharing: Network discovery, file and printer sharing, public folder sharing, media streaming = ON,
    File sharing connections = enable for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption
    Password protected sharing = OFF (I've tried both ways)
    Homegroup connections = Allow Windows to manage (Tried both ways)
    - I've tested with all protection off on both systems
    - Have uninstalled/reinstalled adapter

OH: I tried the Linux suggestion from Tinto Tech here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...o-a-XP-Machine

Exactly the same as with Win 7, so problem clearly at XP end. But where?
    Last edited by sjoy; 2011-05-28 at 02:07. Reason: new info

Thanks
    Hi sjoy, and welcome to the Lounge!

Give this a shot. Boot into Safe Mode on your XP Home machine, right click one of your shared folders. Select properties, and you will see the Share tab, but you will also see the Security tab. In XP Home, the Security tab is only visible when booting into Safe Mode. Under the Security tab, set the appropriate permissions for Everyone. This is all I did to share XP Home files on my home network with Win7 computers.

Homegroup in Windows 7 will only work with other Windows 7 computers. If you only have one Win7 PC, then I would disable Homegroup. However, if you do have another Win7 PC in your home network, disabling Homegroup will not clear up the problem on XP. I use Homegroup on Win7 machines and it does not interfere with the XP computers at all. Some do not like the Homegroup feature, but I have not experienced any negatives to setting up Homegroup. Homegroup and standard shares networking do not interfere with each other, at least in my experience.

If the Security tab settings do not clear things up, then set up another user account on the XP machine with the same username and password as you use on your Windows 7 machine. You do not have to use the new XP user account, it just needs to be present on the XP computer. Oh, I just noticed you already have the same username and password set up on both computers. I haven't had my coffee yet!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-28 at 05:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Deadeye81. Permissions have already been set as you suggest. I've tried both with and without homegroup on Win7. As you say, seems to make no difference.

I'm now thinking, per another post, that problem may lie with a driver conflict (since things work right when XP is in safe mode). There's something called a "clean boot," but I've never done one and am nervous that I'll disable something I need. Pondering...

Thanks
    Here is a link to Microsoft Support article on how to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state.

Here is another article on doing a clean boot.

Since you are no doubt behind a router (which has a hardware firewall), you might consider temporarily disabling your security software to see if that has been interfering. Some software firewalls have been problematic in that regard.

Also, do you have a third party network utility to manage your networking on XP, rather than using XP's built in network management software? If so, disable that and use XP's built in capability. Windows does a good job of handling networking. Many network problems have been caused by management utilities that come with network cards.

You can use programs like WhatsInStartup and Autoruns for Windows to check everything that starts at boot. You can selectively disable one item at a time and reboot to see if that clears up the problem. I would not disable any Microsoft entries, as it is probably a third party driver at fault. By disabling one at a time, your should find out which one is the culprit, and can get an update. The other option is to update all drivers for your devices. Autoruns provides a lot of information, so I would begin in the Logon tab first. Even if the 'clean boot' routine solves the problem, these two programs will be useful for you to have down the road.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-05-28 at 14:14. Reason: add link

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

sjoy (2011-05-28)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OH: I tried the Linux suggestion from Tinto Tech here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...o-a-XP-Machine
    You called?

Hmmmm....It certainly is a strange one, but the diagnostic info so far is clear : it works in Safe Mode, but not after a normal boot. So, as Deadeye81 suggests look at drivers, antivirus etc.

One additional thing to consider is whether your XP firewall is mis-configured by 3rd party programs or even your own setup. After a normal boot, take a system backup or create a system restore point. Then open the Firewall configuration window in Control Panel. Under the Advanced tab, select Restore Defaults. Now see if it works after a normal boot (might need to re-boot to apply the changes). If it doesn't, you can always set the firewall back to how it was by restoring the backup that you took.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

sjoy (2011-05-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Firewall, what firewall?! I do enable it and AV from time to time, but mostly I've been running naked through testing. Still, thanks for suggestion.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go the clean boot route. Thanks for recommendations of utilities, Deadeye81. I'll get them, do the tedious and messy stuff, and report back.

Thanks
    You can read more on sharing etc here;http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/
    The site above has many solutions to most sharing problems.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoy View Post

- Win 7 is desktop system cabled to wireless router; XP is laptop connecting via wireless adapter
    - I'm using HOME versions of both Win 7 and XP (alas)
    ***OTHER SETTINGS***
    - Workgroup on both systems = WORKGROUP
    - Name and password is same on both
    - "guest" is enabled on XP
    I have a small home network. XP machines can open, save, etc on Win7 machine and Win7 machine can open, save, etc. on XP machines.
    The XP Pro machines belong to a Workgroup named - let's say - "Atlantic".
    The Win 7 machine is setup similar to you in Win7, but appears in its own Workgroup on XP machines under the name Workgroup in Network Places. The other machines show as part of Atlantic.

Try this on the XP machine ....
    Start>My Network Places>View workgroup computers
    On my system only the XP machines show up on that screen.
    What happens on your screen?

Try this on XP machine.......
    in Win Explorer>My Network Places>Entire Network> Microsoft Windows Network .... mine shows two groups - Atlantic and Workgroup. The Win7 machine is by itself in Workgroup. What does your show?

Am also thinking the issue may be because you use XP Home rather than XP Pro?
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-05-28 at 20:56.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Errr....

I thought the OP described the symptoms as:

• The XP Home box can always read/write shares on the Win 7 HP box.
    • The Win 7 box can read/write the XP shares only in Safe Mode.
    • After a normal boot, the Win 7 box can only see the existence of the XP shares, but not read or write them.
    • A Linux Live CD can read/write the XP Shares only in Safe Mode
    • After a normal boot, a Linux Live CD can only see the existence of the XP Shares but not read/write them.

If I have got those symptoms summarised correctly, the last two points reported by sjoy are critical.

They indicate the standard Win 7 to XP networking setup referred to in the HowToGeek article and the Microsoft Workgroup configuration are not a consideration.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    No firewall eh? OK, let me have your IP address and I'll see if I can help you out! (only kidding!)

Seriously though, that being the case, I'm stumped. I have come across strange scenarios when the XP firewall reported that it was off, but still had some functionality, but I can't say what might cause your symptoms. Perhaps if the clean boot doesn't work you might try a non-destructive XP re-installation to "repair" the problem?
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-05-28 at 21:34. Reason: To add feedback on firewall.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    If I have got those symptoms summarised correctly, the last two points reported by sjoy are critical.

They indicate the standard Win 7 to XP networking setup referred to in the HowToGeek article and the Microsoft Workgroup configuration are not a consideration.
    Exactly! I'm grateful for all the kind suggestions, but having now read all 12,000,000 posts about networking win 7 with xp home--and gone through the inexcusably laborious requirements--I conclude that this final problem may be unique to my xp configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Seriously though, that being the case, I'm stumped. I have come across strange scenarios when the XP firewall reported that it was off, but still had some functionality, but I can't say what might cause your symptoms. Perhaps if the clean boot doesn't work you might try a non-destructive XP re-installation to "repair" the problem?
    Haven't done the clean boot yet, but have been messing with Autoruns. Don't find much difference between what's running while in XP Safe Mode (when Win 7 can access folders) compared to normal mode. Figure I have three options: I'll track this down and kill it, my tenacity will get the better of me and my head will explode, or I'll soon come to my senses and just...let...it...go... (I mean, I could after all live with shared folders on Win 7 only and drag and drop copies of stuff as needed. Not exactly full functionality, but ...)

Nah. Off to sleep before battle. (Well, just after I test this one last little thing) Thanks for support. I'll report back.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi tfspry: When I do Start>My Network Places>View workgroup computers, I see both LAPTOP (xp machine) and OFFICE (win 7 machine). In My Network Places, I don't have an "entire network" option. What I see in "my network places" is two lists of folders, one titled Local Network containing one share located on LAPTOP and the other titled "Internet" which contains all the shares on both systems. Hmmm...it doesn't list that one share that's under "Local," which was my attempt to share at the user level, which you're not supposed to do; it's the docs&sets/sjoy folder. Anyway, all the other shares are sub folders, which has got to be legal, right?

Any insights? Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Victory!

Using msconfig, I disabled all but basic startup items, rebooted, and Win 7 could open XP folders just fine. Took only a couple of restarts, adding back items I trusted each time, to identify the culprits: two services from my backup software--True Image Home 10--the Acronis Scheduler2 Service and Nonstop Backup Service. When I enabled everything except those two and rebooted, Win 7 opened XP folders and I leaped to my feet and cheered.

So...arcane, but not unique, as I learned when I looked for info on those services. Many folk have been tripped up by this. Also, turns out there's a way to get the services to run without interfering with networking (http://winhlp.com/node/40), so I don't have to uninstall True Image, which I use regularly.

Big Lesson: I was daunted by "clean" booting, having never been down that road before, but it was very easy and kind of intuitive. (Also, the Freebits article that Deadeye81 pointed me to was a good guide.)

Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Glad to hear "clean boot" uncovered the source of the problem! Who would have thought those two Acronis services would affect the networking?

Thanks for posting back your success!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill