Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy DVD won't work under Win 7

I cannot get my DVD drive to work under Windows 7.

Some weeks ago, I rebuilt my XP machine with a new motherboard, and installed Win7 onto a new SSD, but used the same components otherwise. I installed using the AHCI drivers, since I have an SSD. Windows installed fine off my old SATA DVD drive. However, the DVD drive has not worked since I installed the OS.

The device shows up correctly in the BIOS and in devmgr, and shows as "working properly" in the latter. No unsightly exclamation marks. It shows up correctly in disk management. If I insert a disk, the disk size shows up correctly and promptly in disk management.

HOWEVER: If I try to access the disc in any manner, the drive spins up briefly, then I get a "please insert a disk into drive" message and the drive door opens. This happens with data and Redbook CDs. The discs read fine in 2 other machines.

I verified that there are no "upperfilter" or "lowerfilter" entries in the requisite HKLM CCS registry entry. Uninstalled and reinstalled drive in dev mgr several times. My BIOS options are global: AHCI or IDE. There is no option to set the type port by port (Gigabyte H55 series MoBo).

So, I replaced the drive: Replaced my venerable, and always reliable (under XP) Samsung with a newer Lite-on, hoping a newer drive would play better with Win 7.

Did all the above steps again. Still the same result.

The 2 HDs work fine.

Help, pls.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you are aware of the upperfilters & lowerfilters problems, I assume the drive shows up properly in the
    "control panel|devices & printers" window?? ??Have you tried the MS fixit tool??:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-05-28 at 12:35.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

SzDoc (2011-05-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SzDoc View Post
    My BIOS options are global: AHCI or IDE.
    So which BIOS setting did you use?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig: None of the drives are listed in the "devices and printers" window. All drives show up properly under device manager.

Yes: Did the "fix it" tool. Which did nothing. EVERY disc I insert shows "disc not supported by the drive." Did this with the old burner, which read EVERY disc (i.e. maybe 5) under XP with no errors. Tried data discs, file backup discs and Redbook discs.

bbearren: AHCI. What other setting do you mean?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If optical drives aren't listed (but other devices are), I'd suggest that you still have a filters problem. ??Maybe you missed a key in your registry??

Zig

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

SzDoc (2011-05-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The only listed devices are my monitors. I'll look for ANY filter entries in the registry...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the DVD drive show in Computer Management > Disk Management with a DVD designation and Drive Letter?
    Does it show up in Win Explorer?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

SzDoc (2011-05-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    If optical drives aren't listed (but other devices are), I'd suggest that you still have a filters problem. ??Maybe you missed a key in your registry??

Zig
    I have 2 optical drives a CD and a DVD neither of which appear in Devices and Printers. They show up in Disk Management, etc. Both are working fine in all respects.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tfspry: Yes to both. As noted in original post: Drive shows up in ALL expected places. I just get the error any time I attempt to access it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig: No filters show up anywhere in registry in association with CDR entries.

Thanks
    Did you install the motherboard drivers for this new setup? Is your DVD set for Region 1? If not, do you have any changes left?

What are the specs on your PC?
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-05-28 at 16:17. Reason: spelling, clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I installed the MoBo drivers. DVD region not set: never needed to do so before.

Win 7 pro; Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2v MoBO, i5 processor, 4G RAM, OCX SSD and Samsung HD. Everything else on this install works without any problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SzDoc View Post
    DVD region not set: never needed to do so before.
    You weren't running Windows 7 before, either. Is your Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

In Device Manager, what are the drivers listed for the DVD drive?

Unleash Windows

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

SzDoc (2011-05-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Point taken. And problem is ? fixed. I hadn't installed WMP, apparently. Set it up. Deleted the drive from devmgr (for the 14th time). Rebooted. It has worked on 2 data discs so far. We'll see if this persists...

THANKS to all

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem and discovered it was caused by the fact that I was using one of the gadgets that come with the windows 7 program. (the ones you get when doing a right click on the desktop. This particular one opened and closed the cd/dvd tray.) The gadget was for Vista, not 7, and that was my problem.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to fbob6969 For This Useful Post:

SzDoc (2011-05-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast