Thread: Appropriate OS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Appropriate OS

I purchased a used Pentium MMX 200 with 64 mb ram & 3.2 gb disk, without an operating system. I have Windows 95 I am removing from my old computer and loading onto my new one. I purchased Windows ME Upgrade version, then found out it would not run well on this computer. Can anyone recommend which OS I should upgrade to, if at all?

Thank you in advance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Appropriate OS

Hi
    The unfortunate fact is that the hardware you describe is worth less than a new OS. You won't get much joy trying to run a modern Windows with those specs. Since memory is so cheap, grab around another 128Mb and get a bigger hard drive (go for 40Gb, then when you update your system properly, it'll still be useful). That's about all the upgrading I'd do. Then save up and start again from scratch - unless you get a Pentium 4 the memory will still be usable.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Appropriate OS

If you can track down a copy of Windows 98SE somewhere, that would be your best bet. ME is a turd to begin with, and 98SE will run comfortably within the computer's ability.

Depending on what you use the machine for you should have a decent experience. Merc had a great point, and that is: CHEAP RAM. You can get a 256MB upgrade for about thirty bucks and it will have ahuge impact on your experience. Try shopping for memory at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crucial.com>Crucial Online</A>.
    -Mark