Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Strange i/o Error Message

I installed EASEUS Todo Backup Free Home version on my friend's computer, and made a mountable disk image with no problem at all. I liked the program, so decided to install it on my Win 7 Pro 32 bit machine. However, when I tried to mount the image I got a “failed to identify the partition” error message, which I have reported to EASEUS, and their development team are investigating. Pending their reply I decided to uninstall their program and install Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 free version instead. I set it to backup my C and F drives. The latter is in a NAS enclosure, connected via USB, but the file system is NTFS,and there is about 733 GB to back up.

Backup seemed to succeed, but when I tried to mount the images I got an “i/o error on Disk 4” message, which completely baffles me, because Disk 4 according to Paragon and in Computer Management is Drive G, and that drive was not being backed up and was not the backup destination drive. Paragon are investigating, but do you have any idea how this error message could arise?

As a precaution I ran chkdsk /f/r on the G drive, and no problems or bad sectors were found.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post

As a precaution I ran chkdsk /f/r on the G drive, and no problems or bad sectors were found.

Please advise.
    Roy,
    Hello... I have tried "Paragon Free" but not the EASEUS version... I use Macrium Reflect Free (as well as Acronis 2010) and have not had any problems "Imaging", "Recovering", "Mounting" or "Verifying". It's an easy program to use and even allows you to "burn" a "Recovery Disk" http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp Give it a try, and you won't "fool" with the others. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-05-28 at 19:35.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

royw (2011-05-29)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred,

I uninstalled Paragon and EASEUS, then installed Macrium Reflect Free,and made images of the 2 disks I wanted to backup,all with no problem.I then bought the paid version and with that version was able to open the images made with the free version.I made the rescue cd with the paid version and restored my C drive with that. All very impressive.

The reason I restored the C drive is that yesterday an installing device driver message appeared and said installation failed. I discovered from device manager that my HP printer had stopped working and that no driver was installed.I hoped the restore might fix that, but I guess the image did not go back far enough.I will start a new post about the printer problem.

After the restore finished and I rebooted, I got a chkdsk needs to be run on the C drive. That found no problems, but is that normal after a restore of this type?

The restore also reverted Macrium to the free version, so I will uninstall it and reinstall the paid version

Please advise, but meantime thank you for the Macrium tip.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    After the restore finished and I rebooted, I got a chkdsk needs to be run on the C drive. That found no problems, but is that normal after a restore of this type?

The restore also reverted Macrium to the free version, so I will uninstall it and reinstall the paid version

Please advise, but meantime thank you for the Macrium tip.
    Roy,
    Hello... You should check the Macrium "Defaults" settings... you may have it set to "check" by default...Remember an Image is a "snapshot in time" when you recover you end up with how everything was setup then ... so even if you have the "pay for" now ... you didn't then. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Just Plain Fred, thanks for explaining the chkdsk matter.

In the 'Other Tasks" section of the UI it refers to "add a boot menu option to start the Reflect recovery environment". Do you recommend that I do this? (I have already created a bootable rescue CD).

Also is it possible to set the program to do incremental file and\or disk backups, and if so how? (I couldn't find any option to do so).

I would appreciate your further help.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In the 'Other Tasks" section of the UI it refers to "add a boot menu option to start the Reflect recovery environment". Do you recommend that I do this? (I have already created a bootable rescue CD).

Also is it possible to set the program to do incremental file and\or disk backups, and if so how? (I couldn't find any option to do so).
    Roy,
    Hello... As i use the "Free" version of Macrium, i do not have that choice.(boot menu option) Although i do use it in my "pay for" version of Acronis True Image home 2010. It's just another option ... let say that your CD\ DVD RW goes bad, and you can't load the disk ....(does happen)

As far as the incremental backups.... i never do that (And most don't ) Much better just to image the whole Partition or Disk ....less chance for things to go wrong. See attachments ... you can schedule the backup when you create the "Image". Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RoyW:
    I use the paid version of Macrium. I agree with Fred, and do full images, not incrementals. The way you set it to do so is
    as follows:
    When you say you want to create a bcakup image, the first screen that comes up lets you select full or incremental, (I do 'full", as I said earlier.
    The next screen lets you select the partition or drive you want to image.
    The 3rd screen is where you choose where you are placing the image.
    The 4th screen is the "tricky" one . . .it says "finished", but notice the button called "advanced." Click that:
    Under "disk space management", I checkoff that I want:
    Enable disk space management
    I choose to "keep a maximum of 3 full backups"
    And, this last choice is one I had to learn the hard way . . ."run purge AFTER the backup"
    Click "finish" and you can now give your backup task a name, and decide whether to run it then and there.

If you save this backup task description, you can later choose to set up a regular schedule to run it.

I hope this verbiage helps. I'm about to watch the Red Sox game, and I couldn't fool around with all the screen shots.

If the words aren't clear, ask away. I'll help as much as I can.

Dick

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred and Dick-thanks a lot for your help. Just one more thing. I copied the instructions in Dick's post but couldn't paste them to a folder I created for the purpose. How come?

Please advise.

PS. Dick, like most English men I don't know much about baseball but I hope the Red Sox win.

Regards,Roy