Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Software to improve performance

When starting my PC which uses XP in the morning, it takes several minutes to load.

Is there any software that someone can recommend that will improve the performance such as tumneup360 by Spotmau inc?

Your assistance in this regard will be most appreciated

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The best method is to format the drive and start again. Anything else is just playing around.
    Once you have loaded all your favourite apps Windows has more to do at startup. You could Use something like Autoruns to see what is loaded at startup and possible remove some, but you are never going to see a huge improvement. (Unless you add lots of RAM and an SSD).

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply, which is much appreciated

Regards

Howard

Thanks
    What's In Startup is an excellent app to disable or delete apps that seem to think they need to start with windows. This just is not so.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately, everytime I have looked at slow boot up problems and slow run times, the problem turned out to be not enough RAM memory. My rule of thumb fo XP is that it a SP1 system will work ok in 512 mb, an SP2 system really needs 1mb and an SP3 system needs 2mb to run acceptably. Usually I look at these older computers and find that they were bought with 512 mb years and steadily upgraded with additional software and service packs, but the memory was never upgraded. I would look at memory first.

Thanks
    Go over all your installed applications and remove those that are needlessly placed at the start up time.
    Sometimes a carefull re-evaluation of the programs your running and their individual settings can make a big difference too.
    Format and clean install for an operating system that is more than a year old and subject to heavy usage.
    Operating system decay is a reality with Windows XP.