Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair install for XP Home SP3

How can I do a repair install for an XP Home Computer retail upgrade install with SP3 installed? I have CDs for the original XP Home retail with SP1, XP Home OEM with SP2, and XP Pro OEM with SP3. This is a computer used for nothing but games and web surfing so I may be better off just wiping the hard drive and reinstalling from scratch, but thought I would check on the collective wisdom of this group. As it sits now it blue screens frequently even when just sitting there doing nothing. It is a P4 3.0 with 2gb ram and an 80gb hard drive with lots of space. My understanding is that it is impossible to do a repair install with a lesser edition, ie. and SP3 system with an SP1 original disk. I have not tried anything with this computer, but I have seen this problem a while back when trying to do a repair install on an XP Pro system. I've been putting this fix off for a while, but with summer here and the grandkids here more often I need to get this fixed.

Thanks
    You can try to slipstream sp3 with your existing Windows XP setup CD.Here's the link;http://www.howtohaven.com/system/sli...e-pack-3.shtml
    Before you do the above suggestion.I would like to suggest you get some FREE programs.Such as malwarebytes;http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    Also Superantispyware;http://www.superantispyware.com/ Run both programs First,deep scan on both programs.Depends on how much trouble you feel the above suggestion's are worth.The best of luck on what ever you decide.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Re: Repair install for XP Home SP3

In addition to chowur's advice in slipstreaming, I would also recommend you spend a bit of time understanding the root cause.

BSOD's are usually (but not always) due to a hardware problem. Lots of options to investigate down that route: use Safe Mode to load limited hardware drivers, remove unnecessary hardware, swap ram, change psu, etc. Don't forget to check for bulging capacitors too.

An analogy I often use with clients is to talk about a blown fuse in a kettle. If one simply replaces the fuse without fixing the underlying problem, it's likely to happen again as the fuse is a secondary failure. And so it is with Blue Screen's - they are a symptom, rarely the cause.

Thanks
    You may want to make an attempt to investigate the root cause of the BSOD by looking through logfiles, like the event viewer, for a potential cause.

I'm rather partial to the clean install route, especially if the operating system is greater than a year old and had previously been "upgraded".
    If your OEM disk is sliptreamable then by all means do so. Not all OEM manufacturer's disks can be made to be slipstreamed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't forget to do the classic "chkdsk /f" (Start/run) wich search and correct files on your hard disc!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I stated working on this computer I started by running ccleaner and let it clean up all the temps and stuff and then did a registry clean. The computer has not blue screened since I did that so I am just watching to see if the BSOD comes back or maybe it was just an anomaly caused by stuff that needed to be deleted. I normally do not touch this computer until my son or grandkids complain. I keep it around to keep them off all the other computers in the house.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you happen to note what it had found in the registry?

Normally, I rail against using registry cleaners per se (I'm rather famous for it in some parts!), but if the BSOD's have truly been eliminated and there is data to indicate a problem in the registry prior to cleaning, then I'm prepared to reconsider!

Actually, are you up for a little experiment, to help understand what happened? If yes, you could restore the registry to it's earlier configuration and verify the BSOD's come back, then re-run CCleaner and note what it's going to clean and verify the BSOD's have been eliminated again after cleaning.

Either way if the BSOD's are gone, it's a good result.